Thread: E46 320D losing power

E46 320D losing power

Sorry if there is another thread on this. Bought a 03 E46 320D a couple weeks ago. Car was running fine for first week or so. Then was on motorway and drove car over 80MPH and the car suddenly lost power. Was driving fine after I turned it parked and turned it on again. The same thing happened everytime I hit 80MPH and would be fine again when engine was switched off and on.

So I brought the car to a mechanic and a few faults were showing up in the computer. He cleaned out the egr valves and MAP sensor and MAF sensor but the same problem came back. He then disconnected the MAF sensor and the car was running perfect for a couple of days but now their is no power at all and car is barely driving. Was very smokey yesterday, but not smokey today just barely driving.

I'm wondering is it definitely the MAF sensor that is causing the problem or could it be something else as I thought the car would run fine for a few days until I got a new MAF sensor?

RE: E46 320D losing power

Have you had the turbo checked? You could do it yourself, check for oil seeping or play on the shaft by popping off the intercooler pipe. What colour was the smoke? Was it excessive?

Here is a previous thread of mine on the M47N version of this engine: http://www.bmwhaus.ie/forum/showthread.php?tid=403

RE: E46 320D losing power

Quote Originally Posted by ciars
    Have you had the turbo checked? You could do it yourself, check for oil seeping or play on the shaft by popping off the intercooler pipe. What colour was the smoke? Was it excessive?

Here is a previous thread of mine on the M47N version of this engine: http://www.bmwhaus.ie/forum/showthread.php?tid=403
    Was white smoke was a good bit for 10 miles or so but their hasn't been any smoke since. Mechanic reckons turbo is fine on it. Would that normally be happening if MAF sensor was the problem?