Thread: Rough idle

BMWHaus Contributor

Rough idle

Car has been running good the last few days, I was driving out of town and decided I'd fill the tank as I'm planning in driving it over the coming days, as soon as I pulled out of the garage the car developed a lumpy idle.

This is probably the first time the car has had a full tank of petrol over the last 8months.

Any thoughts??

BMWHaus Guru

Rough idle

The rough idle on my m3 was caused by the fuel pump. I got a new HRC one on eBay which is a direct replacement
    http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm?itemId=261597211641

BMWHaus Guru

RE: Rough idle

Dodgy fuel? Hopefully not but did happen one of the lads in the shed a couple weeks ago and car wouldn't start.

BMWHaus Guru

Rough idle

Something to do with tank venting I wonder? See if it improves as the fuel level drops.

Did the tank run very low?

BMWHaus Contributor

No the light hadn't even come on when I decided to fill it up.

It would have gotten very low a couple of times over the last few weeks if imagine.

I was driving it with light on for a day last week

BMWHaus Contributor

Happened me.. Turned out the station had mixed up there tanks that morning. So petrol was in the diesel tanks and diesel in the petrol tanks underground. Me and 12 cars effected. Cost tesco 1400e for my car alone

Quote Originally Posted by Ford 2
    Happened me.. Turned out the station had mixed up there tanks that morning. So petrol was in the diesel tanks and diesel in the petrol tanks underground. Me and 12 cars effected. Cost tesco 1400e for my car alone
    :surprised::surprised:

BMWHaus Contributor

Was gone yesterday, didn't happen at all.

The garage is less than 1km from my house, started just outside the garage and was present when I arrived home. Next morning nothing.

It's in the garage now.

As said nothing yesterday at all

It was probably just a bit of sediment that got raised up to the fuel pump from filling and got through the filter, happened to mine after it's hibernation and just needed to be given a bit of welly to clear it out