Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whinning noise acceleration/deceleration 318i e46 n46

Whinning noise acceleration/deceleration 318i e46 n46

Hi All,

Ive noticed recently that when I start engine from cold I can clearly hear a whining noise on acceleration and deceleration. It last until the engine is warmed up. Thought it might have been the cold weather not so sure now.

Last night took it out for a spin and it sounds louder than ever before.

Any ideas?

BMWHaus Guru

RE: Whinning noise acceleration/deceleration 318i e46 n46

Quote Originally Posted by detonator
    Hi All,

Ive noticed recently that when I start engine from cold I can clearly hear a whining noise on acceleration and deceleration. It last until the engine is warmed up. Thought it might have been the cold weather not so sure now.

Any ideas?
    Chain or alternator.

BMWHaus Guru

Women They dont like the cold:tounge:

Quote Originally Posted by Venom
    Hi All,

Any ideas?
    Chain or alternator.
    I purchased the car approx 2 months ago, Dealership had to get a job done on the timing chain, cost them near 1800euro.

Its still under warranty. Is summit gonna give if I continue to drive it?

BMWHaus Guru

Hi All,

Any ideas?
    Chain or alternator.
    I purchased the car approx 2 months ago, Dealership had to get a job done on the timing chain, cost them near 1800euro.

Its still under warranty. Is summit gonna give if I continue to drive it?
    hard to tell, take a vid and lash it up here. Where exactly is the noise coming from?

BMWHaus Guru

I reckon it's gearbox or diff, could be power steering pump either. Do you have the service history? Or any record of when the oil was changed or maybe topped up in either of them? BMW have "lifetime" oil in some but it's a load of crap, what's lifetime, 10 years? 20? 100k? 200k? 700k?

Take it for a spin and put it in neutral (while driving) and if the whine goes away then it's not the gearbox / power steering pump at least

Quote Originally Posted by Peter-E36
    I reckon it's gearbox or diff, could be power steering pump either. Do you have the service history? Or any record of when the oil was changed or maybe topped up in either of them? BMW have "lifetime" oil in some but it's a load of crap, what's lifetime, 10 years? 20? 100k? 200k? 700k?

Take it for a spin and put it in neutral (while driving) and if the whine goes away then it's not the gearbox / power steering pump at least
    ok, I'll take a video when get home later thanks.
    I'm told they serviced it just before I got it.

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Peter-E36

ok, I'll take a video when get home later thanks.
    I'm told they serviced it just before I got it.
    Do, hopefully nothing major

Service is a very vague term that can mean anything from oil and oil filter to, air filter, pollen filter, fuel filter and even brake pads etc. They wouldn't replace the gearbox oil or diff oil unless there was a reason to I wouldn't think they would just do it as routine maintenance. If the oil was replaced with the wrong kind of oil it might still whine anyway too! Best to ask them what exactly they did.

BMWHaus Guru

To be frank, if the car is under warranty I wouldn't even lift the bonnet, I'd call them and have them pick it up. Also if your not sure then don't drive it. Think of your safety and your pocket :smiling:

To be frank, if the car is under warranty I wouldn't even lift the bonnet, I'd call them and have them pick it up. Also if your not sure then don't drive it. Think of your safety and your pocket :smiling:
    Question,...So did doesnt make a difference we'll be still looking at the same possible issues even though these noises stop once the engine is up to operating temperure??