Thread: BMW Active Tourer 218d

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Site Sponsor

BMW Active Tourer 218d

Hi folks

Just thought I'd share my experience today, I was given a test drive in the new front wheel drive BMW 2 series Active Tourer 218d. Whilst I found the exterior styling a little dated and already done by Kia,ford and hyundai some years ago the interior was a very comfy place be.

All the controls are very reachable making for quick access and ease of use. The seats are very supportive and slightly firm to sit in however not so firm that they are back breakers.

The manual 6 speed gearbox is smooth changing with the 218d engine pulling very well. It was nice to get the chance to drive something new and just out and I have to say it felt nice. I didn't get to give it a thorough driving due to very poor weather and time constraints so as for testing understeer it was a no go. It shall certainly open the doors to those who want a BMW but do not want a rear wheel drive car.

What are people's thoughts on this new venture??

For a more in-depth view of BMW's new FWD check out below :

http://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/motoring/car-reviews/bmw-2-series-active-tourer-review-4450817

Thanks for looking .

www.instagram.com/super4bmw

BMWHaus Guru

RE: 218d BMW 218d

How is it for clearance if you were to open the door & jump out before the car was sent over a cliff? :tounge:

On a more serious note, BMW is in the business of making a profit & someone in Germany obviously saw the market for such a vehicle, all the e46 & e90 owners that started to have a few kids looking for a people carrier type vehicle. It is a pity that the world is driven by profit but that's just an fact of life.
    If it means we get more cars like the 6 Series Grand Coupe, the M4 & M5 then we just gotta live with it. There's still plenty of desirable used BMW icons out there still available to buy so that will ease the "pain" a bit. Even cars like the e39 have become something desirable despite all the newer more modern equivalents out there. I had not been in my e39 for about 4-5 weeks & it is still a great car, I can't believe I was thinking of changing it, and it's not the first time I considered such a move. Each time all it takes is a short journey in it and I realise it is one of BMW's finest moments. I've mine almost 9 years.
    So roll on the boring 2 Series Active Tourers, sales can fund the ///M cars & other exciting mošels.
    Current Garage:
    e36 Convertible, e63 M6,F82 M4, R53 Cooper S, F57 JCW, R53 JCW GP1, Porsche Panamera, Porsche 991 C4S

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

saw one in Frank Keanes other day

BMWHaus Guru

40k , I have one question for ye , that or a f10 !!!

Even though we all loath the idea of a fwd BMW I still think this is a bad move, the market for a car like this is already quite crowded.. How many A-classes do you see on the road compared to Korean alternatives, probably the same reason even the Ford Kuga isn't being sold in decent numbers and they are going for probably half the money of a 2series active tourer

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

RE: BMW Active Tourer 218d

Quote Originally Posted by rebel.ranter
    So roll on the boring 2 Series Active Tourers, sales can fund the ///M cars & other exciting mošels.
    Its true, every cloud does have a silver lining . Oh and F10 any day!.

BMWHaus Guru

http://www.topgear.com/uk/bmw/2-series-active-tourer/road-test/218d-driven

BMWHaus Guru

I wonder will there be an ///M version? :tounge:
    Current Garage:
    e36 Convertible, e63 M6,F82 M4, R53 Cooper S, F57 JCW, R53 JCW GP1, Porsche Panamera, Porsche 991 C4S

When you see me in one of these, you'll know I'm dead...

I just read an article in the latest edition of Roundel where the 2AT was reviewed.

Here are some takeaways..

1) As far back as 2007, BMW decided that market segment for premium MPV's was one that offered growth potential. Frank Niederlander, responsible for the product management of the AT, says, "Annually, 20,000,000 units of such four door-hatchbacks-with a high roof are sold worldwide, of which 1,400,000 are premium models" This segment is expected to increase to 31,500,000 annually of which 2,200,000 are in the premium sector. BMW wants some of those sales.

2) The 2AT is not based on the 2 series platform but on a new type of UKL-architecture that has been designed for front wheel drive vehicles and that debuted in the new Mini. BMW has gained a lot of experience with front wheel drive since they took control of Mini. UKL stands for UnterKlasse or smaller class.

3) The boot has 16.4 cubic feet of luggage space which can be extended to 45.9 cubic feet by folding down the rear seats. This can be increased further by folding down the front passenger seat. Under the boot floor is a space designed to accommodate a foldable bicycle carrier. A seven seater variant is planned for next year and is expected to debut at Geneva.

4) There is a newly developed electric steering system with optional Servotronic fitted. The reviewer reports that contrary to expectations, the 2AT has no tendency to understeer. The test car was fitted with the Servotronic option.

The car reviewed was a 225i AT with 231 HP and 258 lb/ft of torque fitted with the optional 8 speed auto transmission with Sport mode. That's a two litre four cylinder engine to you and me. The reviewer says that when Sport mode was engaged, the steering became firmer and more precise while the engine ran 800rpm higher ( sounds like a lot ).

Nice when you're driving from Innsbruck to a ski resort in the Austrian Alps!!