Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: legal advice required

BMWHaus Contributor

legal advice required

Without going into too much detail, I've been offered a car thats been in storage for a while by the person that owns the storage company.

The car was collected in one part of the country and transported to the far side by request of the man that was building it, who had completed his part of the transaction and had contacted D, the owner, and explained it was being sent to him. D agreed and would make contact with the transporter and arrange delivery from the transporters depo, around 1hr from D's house the day after it would be collected.

D failed to make contact for 3 days and when he did, it was agreed the car would be collected inside the next 2 days or he woukd incur storage charges and after a further 7 days it woukd be scrapped. The transporter has tried to make contact via phone and text but has no address to make contact at.

The transporter has offered me the car 7 weeks on with no further contact from D.

where do I stand legally if I buy this car?

BMWHaus Contributor

legal advice required

I'd say ur going to be the proud owner of a stolen car!! If the owner rings the transport company to pay for his car back and they tell him they sold it on he could go after u for buying stolen goods!!!

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: legal advice required

It doesn't come under stolen goods as far as I know, due to the nature of the whole thing its looked upon as a civil matter.

BMWHaus Contributor

I can see nothing but heartache and misery, avoid!!

BMWHaus Guru

Re: legal advice required

I'm presuming there'd have to be proof that the owner was contacted with notice saying that if no return contact is made within 'X' amount of days or the vehicle is not collected and fees paid within 'X' amount of days then the transporter/storage company will claw back monies owed by means of selling the unclaimed property?

Sent from my WT19i using Tapatalk 2

Sent from my WT19i using Tapatalk 2

BMWHaus Contributor

Phone bills showing the number was rang and length of each call and text messages sent with delivery reports.

BMWHaus Contributor

What you do is you tell Shannon that you bought the car but the log book has been lost for a long time or the owner is unreachable and its being sold by the family.

They send a letter to the registered address and the registered owner has 21 days or something similar to reply saying they want to object to the change of ownership or if they don't respind Shannon send you the log book.

You also need an affidavit from a legal eagle and a letter from the manufacturer to say that the car with the Licence plate is such a car.

We had to do something similar for her E60 as the owner emigrated just after we bought and the lug book was lost so technically coulnt apply for replacement because the owner has to sign in person.

There's a process to kick it off, call Shannon and explain and they send some forms to you.

BMWHaus Contributor

It's called a statutory declaration. They give the registered owners 14day

BMWHaus Contributor

are you breaking it?if so stick it in your shed and dismantle asap..is it e39

BMWHaus Contributor

Tbh, without going into detail, its not a BMW but it is a rare original irish car in its spec.

its rare enough for me to want it and the book but I'm concerned that if I do buy it as it sits, when revenue send the letter to D for me to apply for the book that he'll kick up a fuss, I'll be out the price of the car and have no car to show for it.