Bit of background first. My E39 is going off the road and in for paint at the end of the month. So I decided to have a look around for something for the winter, the Merc is just too small when there's more then two people in it. So off down to the local motor mall (old airport road between Swords and Santry) to have a look at what's on offer. I figured this would be an easy job because I'm not looking for anything extravagant or rare. A petrol 5 door hatchback or estate with a bit of nct around €3000.

Boy was I wrong. Nothing but sh1t, and overpriced sh1t at that.

My God why is it so hard to find anything worth spending money on and that's when the sales Man will even be bothered to ask if there's anything he can do to help.

I know I'm not spending a fortune (have to keep some in reserve for the painter), but does it have to be so difficult to find something.

And don't get me started on private sellers on donedeal or carzone. Four people I rang off carzone today. None of the ads were more than two weeks old, but every one of them the car was sold and they hadn't bothered to take the ad down. One guy even got a bit annoyed with me because I woke him up when I rang.

Surely somebody out there knows of a half decent 5 door hatchback or estate with a bit of NCT for around €3k.