Thread: BMW to appear on BBC Watchdog again on Thurs 30th October @ 20:00

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Guru

BMW to appear on BBC Watchdog again on Thurs 30th October @ 20:00

The team investigate the major security weakness that leaves hundreds of thousands of popular cars, from around 30 different makes and models, vulnerable to theft. Is your vehicle safe?
    Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04nchtj

2012 Article from Watchdog:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/jB77dRvB9C6PQHX46htHpy/bmw-open-to-car-theft

BMWHaus Guru

RE: BMW to appear on BBC Watchdog again on Thurs 30th October @ 20:00

Reminder on now on BBC...

Had it recorded and just watched it there now.

They didn't explain how someone could access the cars without breaking a window and setting off the alarm. Maybe there is another way to gain access?

I did hear something about there being a blind spot in the alarm but nothing very specific.

What I took from it is that any BMW post 2006 which has an electronic key is succeptable to this type of theft where a blank key can be programmed in seconds and the car driven off. Even though the TV show only mentions X5's and X6's.

BMW UK had previously stated that the issue has been sorted on post 2011 cars with a security update on the software. But this is not the case.

I believe that you can bring your car to a dealer and have an update carried out but at a cost to yourself. I would like to think there would be no cost.

The other part of the show which was very interesting was the Rogue Traders section when they outed a scam where a supposedly reputable company was offering to supply and fit reconditioned engines when in fact they were putting in engines from scrap cars which had not been reconditioned. And they weren't even fitting them correctly! All caught on hidden cameras.

Isn't it possible to intercept the signal from an original key to make a copy for opening the car initially?

BMWHaus Contributor

Re: RE: BMW to appear on BBC Watchdog again on Thurs 30th October @ 20:00

Quote Originally Posted by tonyd
    Isn't it possible to intercept the signal from an original key to make a copy for opening the car initially?
    No they're a dynamic code but they use signal jammers do when you press lock the signal doesn't reach the car. You should always check that the indicators flash when you lock it