Thread: e36 316i not reving properly

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Contributor

e36 316i not reving properly

Im looking at a 316i and I'm told it wont rev out over 4k. Hes blaming the Air flow meter, he said he bought a replacement but it was tge wrong one as its from a 318i, but they are the same airflow meter so I'm finding it suspect.

Anyone got any thoughts?

RE: e36 316i not reving properly

Check the pipes at the back of the meter, my 316 did the same thing a while ago and it was just a pipe/hose that blew off.

BMWHaus Guru

disco net the air flow meter and if its ok then its either the airflow or a air leak behind the air flow

BMWHaus Guru

Any lights on the dash? It sounds like its in limp mode. Clean the maf with electrical contact cleaner, while thats drying disconnect the battery, reconnect everything, check for loose connections or air leaks. If still not reving past 4k could be maf is fooked. Was it a new or second hand one? Also get the codes read, am not sure but i think cam sensor issues can have similar symptoms. Let us know how you get on.

BMWHaus Contributor

Limp mode goes to 5.5k ...stupidity high. Does it pull strong to 4000 ? Bad idle ? Any more symptoms or info will be helpful if possible

BMWHaus Contributor

Its one I'm intending to view, its a silver one from Donegal in Donedeal. I suppose I'm looking for haggling ability without buying a lemon. Cheers guys.