Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Most Reliable New BMW Car/Engine?

BMWHaus Guru

Lightbulb Most Reliable New BMW Car/Engine?

Between timing chain issues and other common failures, one has to wonder, is there a new/new-ish BMW Car/Engine that has proved to be trouble-free and reliable?

Please reply based on first hand experience only!

BMWHaus Guru

RE: Most Reliable New BMW Car/Engine?

All engines/cars have common failure points or pattern failures. Are you referring more so to design flaws?

BMWHaus Guru

M57 is pretty hassle free.

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Venom
    All engines/cars have common failure points or pattern failures. Are you referring more so to design flaws?
    Yep, design flaws, known faults. Anything that goes wrong on several examples that shouldn't go wrong on a new car basically!
    [hr]
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    Are they not affected by timing chain issues as well? Or which 6 pot diesels have the chain issues?

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Peter-E36
    Quote Originally Posted by Venom
    Yep, design flaws, known faults. Anything that goes wrong on several examples that shouldn't go wrong on a new car basically!
    [hr]
    Are they not affected by timing chain issues as well? Or which 6 pot diesels have the chain issues?
    Valdas posted an example of an M57 with timing chain issues but it subsequently turned out that the car had 400k km on it, so not really a fair example.

The N57's have problems though.

BMWHaus Guru

Most Reliable New BMW Car/Engine?

If looked after correct but yeah it and the m47 are great engines!

That's probably the same for most engines apart from the likes of N4/57 diesels and N40/2/5/6 petrols.

BMWHaus Guru

So Diesel: Go for M57 (if well maintained), avoid N4/57.

What about Petrol engines? The 4 pots wouldn't be of any interest, so re: the 6 pots - what are the ones that proved to be reliable, and the ones that proved to have design faults or common problems?

Edit: Wasn't just talking about engines by the way, cars in general. It's no good if the engine is healthy and the rest of the car falls apart... Heard the 335i have HPFP, water pump, and turbo issues?

BMWHaus Contributor

I think if you follow the rule that if the chain is at the block then budget for that to be replaced.

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey Bear
    I think if you follow the rule that if the chain is at the block then budget for that to be replaced.
    How do I know if it is?

BMWHaus Guru

Re: Most Reliable New BMW Car/Engine?

From personal experience the 335i is sound enough! When I was researching them I had heard of faulty light modules and turbo issues. But regular oil checks and changes and servicing etc. should be no problem. Water pump issues yeah, but in fairness, the computers and sensors give plenty of warning and make it very very difficult to drive a car if there's something wrong. It's actually one of the drivers aids I'm thankful for!

What I would be doing now, is if looking at a 335, or any newer model for that matter,check servicing but always always have some contingency for the 'just-in-case' scenario!

As we chatted about before, I have my e92, 2 years and bar the bit of lovin she's getting now out in super4, she hasn't let me down!! My e46 325 on the other hand.......... Well don't get me started on that!!

Sent from my WT19i using Tapatalk 2