Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another day another problem

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Contributor

Another day another problem

Luckily caught before any damage caused. But it appears that my crank pulley center rubber thing is dead, whole crank philly rattling, violent noise and moving in and out, inner bolt etc fine but pulley itself moving and the rubber is after eating itself. So I'll need to replace the whole lot, anyone come across this on a 320d ? I'll assume not a cheap part

BMWHaus Guru

Is it the anti vibration pulley at the front of the crank?

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: Another day another problem

Yea the rubber in the middle has given up so the pulley is moving and rattling around

BMWHaus Guru

C3bmw sell a few different versions.

http://www.c3bmw.co.uk/StockItem.asp?categoryID=138&subcategoryID=0&produ ctID=1942&oRef=-1&section=2&Item=unassign

BMWHaus Contributor

I see them on eBay alright, about 140 delivered for gates and the likes. very strange thing I've not seen happen before and has put the fright a god in me so car won't move till I get a new one, if that broke it could burst out through the bonnet. Suppose to be common after looking it up

BMWHaus Guru

I know they slowly go in the 6 cylinders, but you get months worth of warning, it's typically a bit rattly when you turn it off.

You're 100% sure the DMF hasn't failed?

BMWHaus Contributor

It was commin into it for a few weeks and got bad, no not flywheel same noise in and out, no vibration in peddle etc in any case I can latterly move the pulley, rev the car and you can see it hopping like a kangaroo, bits a rubber on pulley also. Inside bolted to crank is tight pulley itself is loose so rubber or the dampening has failed I'd say, was thinking is now the time to go solid alu version or can that even be done on diesels

re crankshaft pulley -- do this ASAP as the mass of metal which running amok and needs to be dampened are the conrods -pistons and crank --the imbalance created by swinging all this mass about often needs to be dampened by a layshaft which rotates in opposite frequency to the crank and both are drilled --balanced - messed with to get metal to stay where it should and do its job --when you have a damper failing it wont fail and do you a favour it will fail and multiply the forces it is supposed to cancel out.. asap. bugs

I had this problem 2 years ago. What was started as a cricket noise turned into 200euro fixed with labor included at
    Bavarian Technik. All belts were replaced at first as mechanic thought it was the belts and CSP(crankshaft pulley) were replaced 10k ago.
    Turned out the CSB replacement were
    not a good quality.
    BMW wanted 370 euros for this part.
    After the replacement, nothing can be beat the sound of an enthusiastic engine. Hope that helps!

BMWHaus Contributor

Thanks lads not driving it, I'll buy the parts tommro and she should be good to go again until the next issue shows it's ugly face