Thread: E46 (N46) 316i 1.8L - Oil Recommendation

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    wandererz

E46 (N46) 316i 1.8L - Oil Recommendation

The Castrol Oil selector tool suggests 0W30 C3 oil for a 05 316i 1.8L. E46 (N46)

I have at home:
    - Castrol Magnatec 5W30 A3/B3, and
    - Castrol GTX 5W30 A1

Would either of these be ok to use?

BMWHaus Guru

RE: E46 (N46) 316i 1.8L - Oil Recommendation

Hi I'm not sure about those oils but you'll be ok if you go for good quality fully-synthetic oil which meets BMW LL01 or LL04 standards. If that's printed on the back label your good to go. I think most people with the N42/46 engine use 5/30 or 0/30, I stand to be corrected though...

wandererz

RE: E46 (N46) 316i 1.8L - Oil Recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by John_D
    Hi I'm not sure about those oils but you'll be ok if you go for good quality fully-synthetic oil which meets BMW LL01 or LL04 standards. If that's printed on the back label your good to go. I think most people with the N42/46 engine use 5/30 or 0/30, I stand to be corrected though...
    Thanks for that, the Magnatec above is LL01 approved.

Some comments from some other research i was doing:

The difference between LL01 and LL04 is that LL04 is formulated for improved exhaust cleanliness. It is a must have for the new BMW clean diesels with particulate filters. There is also some additional additives in it to help keep engine internals even cleaner than LL01 does. Those are the big differences... BMW LL04 can be used in both petrol and diesel BMWs.
    The new BMW petrol engines run safely with both BMW LL01 and BMW LL04. The LL04 was developed primarily to make diesel exhast as clean as possible. I don't believe it is an improvement in actual engine protection... LL01 is good to go for any new BMW petrol engine. If you run a new BMW diesel, make sure you stick to LL04 to avoid particulate filter problems!