Thread: E39 paddle shift

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Contributor

E39 paddle shift

Doing a paddleshift conversion to my e39 soon.not using the m3 steering wheel but using the paddles and slip ring from the m3.have the bits just have to sort the wires and make a loom.loafs of info on the internet but was wondering if anyone here has done it and could advise on making the loom.the loom guides on the internet are mostly e46 retrofit but a few e39.i will be cutting the gaps in the rear of the msport wheel to fit the paddles.have seen it done on another sites and looks fine.must do some more research but if anyone knows anything let me know.

BMWHaus Guru

E39 paddle shift

Rebel.ranter and Brian.g have both done it.

BMWHaus Guru

RE: E39 paddle shift

Yeah, I fitted mine a few years ago. It's straight forward, the "loom" required is only two wires that run from the slip ring to the area by the selector. If you were stuck you could make it up yourself with some wire. I bought mine as a pre-made loom from an online seller.
    I rarely use mine, the shift is slow, especially compared to real SMG. I have SMG in the e63. It is something a little different I suppose.

Current Garage:
    e36 Convertible, e63 M6,F82 M4, R53 Cooper S, F57 JCW, R53 JCW GP1, Porsche Panamera, Porsche 991 C4S

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by rebel.ranter
    Yeah, I fitted mine a few years ago. It's straight forward, the "loom" required is only two wires that run from the slip ring to the area by the selector. If you were stuck you could make it up yourself with some wire. I bought mine as a pre-made loom from an online seller.
    I rarely use mine, the shift is slow, especially compared to real SMG. I have SMG in the e63. It is something a little different I suppose.

thanks for pm and reply,im not bothered about how quick or slow it is its just nice to have it..some use the 2 wires and others seem to make up a complicated loom with loads of conections and stuff.
    thanks for reply

BMWHaus Guru

There's only two wires involved, a signal from the "+" & "-" buttons. A lot of the online retailers want to make it look complicated in order to sell their looms.
    Current Garage:
    e36 Convertible, e63 M6,F82 M4, R53 Cooper S, F57 JCW, R53 JCW GP1, Porsche Panamera, Porsche 991 C4S