Thread: E46 318 Ci M Sport

E46 318 Ci M Sport

So, this is my first post on the forum and as per the thread title, I'm on the hunt for an E46 318 Ci M Sport, facelift model and N46 engine preferably. Haven't seen much around online in the past while and I'm looking to upgrade soon enough. Ideally, I want to spend around €4000 but I'm flexible if the car ticks all the boxes.

Also, any advice or suggestions about other options I could go with would be appreciated and I'm open to offers of cars that fit most, but not all of the above criteria.

Thanks in advance!

Re: E46 318 Ci M Sport

Would you consider spending 3k on a 6 cylinder version instead ? Something like this or a 325ci http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/7897586

RE: E46 318 Ci M Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Gar
    Would you consider spending 3k on a 6 cylinder version instead ? Something like this or a 325ci http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/7897586
    I'd definitely consider it. The more I read about the 6 pot, the more I've opened up to it (in every way apart from financially of course!). I'm actually going to go look at one tonight so should have an even better idea then.

That's a nice looking one for sure, only problems I'd have are that it's pre facelift and I'm not crazy about the Alacantra interior, even though that wouldn't be a deal breaker by itself.

Re: E46 318 Ci M Sport

Its actually quite nice has a really quality feel to it warm in the winter cool in the summer

Tax on the 325 is 100 more per 3 months but worth every penny mpg wise they are very similar theres little in it both are good cars 318-325 but if i were buying id be going for the m54 its a much more reliable lump with a lovely soundtrack you should get a facelift in budget if you hold out

Its actually quite nice has a really quality feel to it warm in the winter cool in the summer

Tax on the 325 is 100 more per 3 months but worth every penny mpg wise they are very similar theres little in it both are good cars 318-325 but if i were buying id be going for the m54 its a much more reliable lump with a lovely soundtrack you should get a facelift in budget if you hold out
    Yea that's what I've read on forums about the alacantra. I've never used it for long periods before so I wasn't sure about it. People say it keeps ya more secure or 'stuck in' while driving which would be nice too.

The tax would be one issue but I'd get over it. My main issue is insurance. The leap between a 318 and a 320 is already around €300-400 a year for me now so I think a 325 would break me altogether. The joys of being 23 and male! I'm driving a 1.1L 106 at the moment so a 318/320 should do me fine for a couple of years.

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dorgasm

Yea that's what I've read on forums about the alacantra. I've never used it for long periods before so I wasn't sure about it. People say it keeps ya more secure or 'stuck in' while driving which would be nice too.

The tax would be one issue but I'd get over it. My main issue is insurance. The leap between a 318 and a 320 is already around €300-400 a year for me now so I think a 325 would break me altogether. The joys of being 23 and male! I'm driving a 1.1L 106 at the moment so a 318/320 should do me fine for a couple of years.
    i know your pain with insurance. I'm 21 and have a e36 323i insurance wouldn't even quote me until i told them i bought it and was swapping insurance over to it

Quote Originally Posted by fluffmister
    i know your pain with insurance. I'm 21 and have a e36 323i insurance wouldn't even quote me until i told them i bought it and was swapping insurance over to it
    How much if you don't mind me asking?
    I'm 20, Full licence and 2 years experiene and got quoted €2,500 fully comp on my 318is. Paying €800 on a MkIV Golf at the moment.

Sorry for jumping in on your thread OP!

Re: RE: E46 318 Ci M Sport

Quote Originally Posted by dorgasm

Ah i see your problem so never thought of insurance , the 318ci will be a massive step up from your 106 so just buy the best one you can the n46 was a little better then n42 on reliability but then they are newer and around in smaller numbers so maybe not as many problems posted online

If you can find one with the timing chain replaced even better one less thing to worry about

Iv had one two years n42b20 bought it with under 70k miles so far in 10k miles have changed timing chain and all bits ,both vanos units, fuel pump and 4 coil packs its finally just driving well and can be enjoyed

Heres an 06 nice car minus the chrome http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/7999049 4k

Quote Originally Posted by BMW
    I'm 20, Full licence and 2 years experiene and got quoted €2,500 fully comp on my 318is. Paying €800 on a MkIV Golf at the moment.

No bother at all, the more the merrier!

For what it's worth, I'm 23 with 3 years no claims and full license for 5 years. I've been quoted as low as €875 comprehensive on a 318 Ci but won't even get a quote online for a 320 Ci with Liberty, FBD, 123.ie, AXA and a few others. The AA are quoting €1000 TPF&T on the 320 Ci and Aviva are bumping my DD payments up to €150 p/m if I change.

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BMW

1400 full comp 323i was 20 when i insured it liberty 3year ncb and 3 years full licence

my rewneal on a 1.9tdi 2009 skoda octavia was 950 had only swapped over just coming up to my rewneal