Thread: E36 service reset

BMWHaus Guru

E36 service reset

Bought this on eBay after giving the touring a full service, all fluids changed including gearbox oil, diff oil etc I wanted to reset the oil service I know you can jump with pins 7 and 19 but don't fancy doing that.. Anyway plugged in the reset tool followed instructions and not a peep! It's now on the amber light! Any suggestions

BMWHaus Guru

E36 service reset

Why are you afraid to jump the pins? It's tried and tested and is what this tool does anyway just grounds the pin. Certain e36s my own included need to be reset put diagnostics cover back on then turn off car. Try that.

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: E36 service reset

I used a resistor to short mine, I was worried about blowing something the same as you are, about 250 ohms was the value I used. Just take your time to make sure you have the right pins. Hope this helps

BMWHaus Contributor

I used the paperclip on both of my e36 but it would sometimes take several attempts, just make sure your at the correct pins

BMWHaus Contributor

I've been using a paperclip on mine for as long as I have the car and it's never failed me

If you're anywhere near Tipperary or Kilkenny I can meet you and reset it for you with the Draper reset tool that I have.

Forgot to say.

Make sure you have the ignition on ( key turned to acc ) but car not started. The reset tool takes its power from the car.

You probably did this anyway but just in case.

Re: E36 service reset

This is what I use available from HALFRAUDS limerick and most motorfactors.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I've used the Draper tool for years. Well worth the €12 I paid for it, works every time.

BMWHaus Guru

Got back at it this evening used the paper clip method and it reset fine.