Thread: Strange ABS problem - headlight related

Strange ABS problem - headlight related

Hi folks,
    I've been having a strange ABS fault over the past while that I hope somebody might be able to advice on.

To keep it short, on occasion when switching from dipped headlights to full beams the drivers side main beam wont illuminate and the ABS light will come on. After switching the main beams off and on a few times they will work as normal, but the ABS light usually takes a few journeys to reset itself.
    I should mention that I have HIDs fitted on my dipped and main beams.

I'm thinking that this might be a ground issue but can anyone explain what is linking the ABS to the headlights? Do they share a ground point?

Any thoughts and opinions welcome

-Paul

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: Strange ABS problem - headlight related

Quote Originally Posted by Verdigris
    Hi folks,
    I've been having a strange ABS fault over the past while that I hope somebody might be able to advice on.

To keep it short, on occasion when switching from dipped headlights to full beams the drivers side main beam wont illuminate and the ABS light will come on. After switching the main beams off and on a few times they will work as normal, but the ABS light usually takes a few journeys to reset itself.
    I should mention that I have HIDs fitted on my dipped and main beams.

I'm thinking that this might be a ground issue but can anyone explain what is linking the ABS to the headlights? Do they share a ground point?

Any thoughts and opinions welcome

-Paul
    what kind of car possibly instrument panel,,

BMWHaus Guru

Had this issue on my old E36 with HIDs fitted...faulty ballast was found to be the culprit

Cambo - It's an E36 318iS.

Don - I'll certainly look into that, I'll try swapping the ballast from the one side to the other.
    Funny thing is that it always trips at the same times as the ABS, which incidentally tends to always happen when the car is facing up hill at the time. Might be a ground issue.