Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Headrests ?

BMWHaus Guru

Headrests ?

I posted this question on my thread the other day.

The issue is I find my headrests a little far back for total comfort even when tilted forward.
    I have had cars in the past (Mercedes, VWs) where the headrests will adjust forward enough for a nice comfortable position.

I have seen these \/ \/ type headrests that adjust forward and I believe they came on some 5 (e60) and 6 series and maybe even the newer 3 and 4 series

Does anyone know if these are interchangable between models or is there any alternative. ?

Thanks

RE: Headrests ?

Find someone who has them and get them to take a measurement between the poles id say it would be simple enough to get them to fit

The e39 ones are not great either so this would be a nice improvement i find on a long drive if you rest your head back on my own its very awkward if it came out further it would be perfect

Will be hard to get a breaker to part with just the headrest off an interior though

BMWHaus Guru

Ye i was thinking I may have to search for a while espcialy for black leather but no harm in looking, apparently they came on the e70 X5 too.

Just grab any colour you can id say and dye them , from looking at the photos the spacing between the headrest poles looks similar across the entire model range so you could be lucky , also iirc them poles can be unscrewed

BMWHaus Guru

I found a post where a guy fitted them from an x5 to an e60 so might call to one of the lads and grab his headrest

I wonder could I wire these up ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-3-SERIES-HYDRAULIC-SAFETY-HEADRESTS-PAIR-/321610738654?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM& hash=item4ae17e6bde
    [hr]

No idea but id assume its just a matter of tapping them into a power source

BMWHaus Guru

Where would the controls for these be ? are they on the headrest or are the controls usually on the seat where the seats would be controlled ?

BMWHaus Contributor

ill measure mine tomorrow for you woukld be hard enough to get a set i would think

BMWHaus Guru

Are you sure they are actually electric? There is a black button on the side of the headrests, this moves them forwards & backwards. The electrical connection to the headrest is for the "active headrest" function. It is deployed like an airbag in the event of an accident.

http://youtu.be/uic3ZR37F7g

http://youtu.be/z6_hMN-SctA
    Current Garage:
    e36 Convertible, e63 M6,F82 M4, R53 Cooper S, F57 JCW, R53 JCW GP1, Porsche Panamera, Porsche 991 C4S

BMWHaus Guru

Ah i see thanks Mark, so i could fit them without having to connect anything at all.

Looks like i might go for them