Thread: brake pads ..cheap vs expensive

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Contributor

brake pads ..cheap vs expensive

is there any difference in the cheap brake pads compared to the expensive.i had a sticking caliper last night and it turned out to be the metal bit on the back of the brake pad that had broken,was looking online for new pads today and some are 20 euro and go up to 100 euro depending on brand.is there a difference for everyday driving.my car is a 2 litere e39 with front brake setup from 530d which is a great improvement.
    just curious on this.

BMWHaus Guru

RE: brake pads ..cheap vs expensive

If you are not going to go main dealer then I would look at brands like Textar or ATE, these companies manufacture brake pads & discs for BMW. I have noticed that most BMW pads are actually Textar, discs are ATE & handbrake shoes are Jurid in BMW boxes. The likes of Otto, Super4, etc. should be able to supply these OE parts.

OEM pads seem to produce a good bit of brake dust but work reasonably well in the real world.
    I don't think I would be fitting €20 brake pads to the car.
    Current Garage:
    e36 Convertible, e63 M6,F82 M4, R53 Cooper S, F57 JCW, R53 JCW GP1, Porsche Panamera, Porsche 991 C4S

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: brake pads ..cheap vs expensive

Quote Originally Posted by rebel.ranter
    If you are not going to go main dealer then I would look at brands like Textar or ATE, these companies manufacture brake pads & discs for BMW. I have noticed that most BMW pads are actually Textar, discs are ATE & handbrake shoes are Jurid in BMW boxes. The likes of Otto, Super4, etc. should be able to supply these OE parts.

OEM pads seem to produce a good bit of brake dust but work reasonably well in the real world.
    I don't think I would be fitting €20 brake pads to the car.
    no wont be bothering with the 20 euro ones,was on micksgarage today and they start at that price.just curious on how they differ.have to get a rebuild kit as well as the rubber is cracked on the piston.