Thread: 318is m44 misfiring

BMWHaus Contributor

318is m44 misfiring

Sold my friend my old 318is m44 engine. Was running grand for 2 days and started misfiring. Changed the coilpack and leads and it was perfect for about 2 hours and now same thing happening again.

Any1 any ideas?

BMWHaus Guru

RE: 318is m44 misfiring

Quote Originally Posted by BluhBluh
    Sold my friend my old 318is m44 engine. Was running grand for 2 days and started misfiring. Changed the coilpack and leads and it was perfect for about 2 hours and now same thing happening again.

Any1 any ideas?
    Air leaks!!!!

Did you change the plugs when you put the new coilpack in

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Gar
    Did you change the plugs when you put the new coilpack in
    He was meant to buy new ones actually when he done the engine swap but for some reason didn't. The top of the spark plugs looked pretty black when we swapped the leads and coil pack. Strange tho that the engine was running grand when it was in my car, will tell him to get new plugs tomorrow anyway.

BMWHaus Guru

318is m44 misfiring

I had something similar happen before (M43TU) a slight misfire at idle. I replaced the HT leads with a good used set from Valdas. The misfire improved but didn't go away 100% until I changed the plugs.
    I had been previously given bosch non-longlife plugs by a Motor factor. When I installed the correct NGK BKR6EQUP plugs it ran perfectly smooth and has done ever since.