Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Decisions, Decisions - 2nd Car...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Guru

Decisions, Decisions - 2nd Car...

OK, so we just have the E92 325i Auto coupe in our household at present. I work a lot from home and my wife usually takes the car unless I need it and drop her. From mid-Jan I will need to be in office 5 days a week so we need to purchase a second car...

Now the decisions...

1. Do I keep the E92 and purchase my wife a second car?
    2. Do I let her keep the E92 and I purchase a second car?
    3. Do we both get something different? (Hard choice as the E92 is 100% owned and owes us nothing really)

Other considerations:

- My wife will drive less than 150kms per week
    - My wife only drives Automatic
    - I will drive around 500kms per week
    - My wife had back surgery in recent years so something more comfortable would be nice for her, although she does not complain and loves the car...
    - Whatever the 2nd car is, it should not be a coupe, extra doors would be nice.
    - My daughter is talking about doing her theory test and starting to drive...(If it ever happens!!! Probably not really a consideration...)

Budget

Well...say around €10k...however it may be possible to supplement that with a car loan if needed depending on the decision being made...

Make/Model

Well I would like to stay with BMW...however I would not be that keen on the E60 of all models, just not my cup of tea (however maybe that could change?).

An option (else an F10 for me? :hehe!:

1 series: http://www.rbmotorcompany.com/viewanad.php?ad_id=1145589&r=

What would be the "best value for my euro" at present? Considering age, mileage, depreciation, ongoing maintenance, comfort (getting old...:tounge, etc...

Thoughts/advice?

RE: Decisions, Decisions - 2nd Car...

Surely an E90 320D fits the bill for yourself? I can't imagine an auto 325i would be economical for 500kms a week

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mk2glenn
    Surely an E90 320D fits the bill for yourself? I can't imagine an auto 325i would be economical for 500kms a week
    I used to do that kinda level years ago when I first got my 325...was perfectly fine for every day. You'd want to be doing far more miles to bother with a daysul imo

What would the current value be on the E92 Eddie? Just asking this, as Gar will be along shortly and will need some figures to go car shopping for you

1er's seem to be dropping in price a lot lately

http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/7944993
    BMW 1 Series Auto Leather 390 Road Tax

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ciars
    What would the current value be on the E92 Eddie? Just asking this, as Gar will be along shortly and will need some figures to go car shopping for you
    Jeeze I would not have a clue Ciars...more research I guess...
    [hr]
    Quote Originally Posted by FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Yeah I had linked to that car in the opening post... Anyone familiar with the dealer?

Quote Originally Posted by eddiem74
    Jeeze I would not have a clue Ciars...more research I guess...
    [hr]
    Quote Originally Posted by FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Yeah I had linked to that car in the opening post... Anyone familiar with the dealer?
    Oops sorry man, not even awake yet :hehe!:

Not familiar with the dealer, but as with all these days, any car that passes my own preliminary checks will always be handed over to Valdas or Dave in Ballymount for a once over check on the ramp. Best few quid spent for that piece of mind, or better yet something to haggle price if wear and tear issues found.

BMWHaus Guru

So a quick check on DD for 2008 E92s shows quite a range in price from 12-20k, I guess for Private sale maybe somewhere in the middle 15k'ish?, dealer trade in would probably be 10k or something silly like that.

Very sellable car IMO - definitely go private sale route and add the proceeds to your budget. I suspect it won't hang around long at all. Cash is definitely king, even more so if your buying two cars together.