Hi folks,

Thinking about the longevity of my car.

I have a 2004 M57TUD30 530D E60 auto which is running very well at 175k miles and I'm hoping I can bring it to 275k miles - I love it!
I've been told if I look after it there shouldn't be a problem with car hitting that kind of mileage and beyond - apparently taxi cars in Germany are a testament to this!

My question is if the engine does clap out at some stage and I'm faced with a potential engine replacement is it possible to fit an M57TU2D30 173kw 235 PS engine + the newer 6 speed transmission from say a late 2009/2010 E60 auto?

I have read threads on various forums saying it is possible if both the engine and the newer transmission is fitted but I guess I'm looking for opinions from the experienced guys on the forum such as Valdas and Mr. Healy (but welcome comments from anyone with some perspective on this) as to whether it is a viable option.

First off would insurance companies have an issue using an engine and transmission from a facelift car on a preface lift car?
Would they even need to be notified?

I'm guessing if the transmission is used from an LCI car then the electronic gear shift and ECU also needs to be retrofitted?

Finally in terms of man hours/coding problems what other potential problems could there be over sticking with a standard M57TUD30 replacement engine?

Any ideas on the rough cost?

I realise the cheaper option would be to just find an M57TUD30 replacement engine and be done with it but I'd like to know more out of curiosity.

Cheers all