Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Honda S2000

RE: Honda S2000

I notice you haven't mentioned a Porsche Boxster S! Any reason why?

Quote Originally Posted by johnmcs2000
    Someone suggested it before and it got a no

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by johnmcs2000
    Never been a fan to be honest. I'd prefer an SLK (cue the hairdresser jokes)

Well there is one SLK55 AMG for sale privately on carzone! But I guess that's higher than what you want to spend at the €20k mark.
    Besides that, what other options have you other than the ones you've mentioned already?

BMW's: A Z3 M Roadster, but that'll be the same route as the E36 you sold I assume?? Or a 645i or 650i? Non coupe? E39 M5?
    Jaguar: an XK, XK8 or XKR??
    Maserati: 3200GT, Spyder, Quatroporte??
    Mercedes: SL320, SL500, CL500, CL600, CLK55 AMG.
    Nissan: 350Z, 370Z, Skyline GT-R R32 or R33??
    Porsche: 944 Turbo, 968, 996 911.

From the list above I guess it really leads you back to where you started. It's hard to look past the value of the 335i, the E46 M3 and the Z4 3.0.

BMWHaus Contributor

Honda S2000

Your spot on peter a late ap1 is best to go for in my opinion. I prefer the modals without traction control and the older suspension set up but that's really a personal preference thing.

There are a number of weak points to watch for in them when shopping. They are susceptible to rust especially bonnet, bootlid and arches (rear arches are the worst).

They also suffer from a notchy second gear from people throwing in from first to second at high revs, as you mentioned newer Modals got upgraded to carbon synchros.

They also suffer from cracked retainers from mechanical over revs - the ap2 got upgraded valve retainers but it's a good idea to upgrade these yourself on younger modals and to get that rocker cover off and check for cracks when buying

As mentioned calipers are a big problem and they stick quite a bit I rebuilt all 4 of mine and still ended up replacing the fronts six months later.

Oil starvation kills these cars as they do burn oil so need a service every 5k and very few have got that. Give that oil a good check before buying for no flakes and make sure it idles nice and smooth with no knocks. Engines are a bit ticky but you'll hear a knock

If you want to ring me when your shopping Id have no problem checking one out with you

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Dillon
    Your spot on peter a late ap1 is best to go for in my opinion. I prefer the modals without traction control and the older suspension set up but that's really a personal preference thing.

There are a number of weak points to watch for in them when shopping. They are susceptible to rust especially bonnet, bootlid and arches (rear arches are the worst).

They also suffer from a notchy second gear from people throwing in from first to second at high revs, as you mentioned newer Modals got upgraded to carbon synchros.

They also suffer from cracked retainers from mechanical over revs - the ap2 got upgraded valve retainers but it's a good idea to upgrade these yourself on younger modals and to get that rocker cover off and check for cracks when buying

As mentioned calipers are a big problem and they stick quite a bit I rebuilt all 4 of mine and still ended up replacing the fronts six months later.

Oil starvation kills these cars as they do burn oil so need a service every 5k and very few have got that. Give that oil a good check before buying for no flakes and make sure it idles nice and smooth with no knocks. Engines are a bit ticky but you'll hear a knock

If you want to ring me when your shopping Id have no problem checking one out with you
    Thanks for the info and the offer Dillon, greatly appreciated will keep it in mind!

BMWHaus Guru

know of a lovely one for sale can send you on more info if needed

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by fluffmister
    Gambit's? Saw that if it is

If not, PM please

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Peter-E36
    Quote Originally Posted by fluffmister
    Gambit's? Saw that if it is

If not, PM please
    haha nope thats the one!

BMWHaus Contributor

Honda S2000

Friend of mine actually has an absolutely exceptional example of one.......he's not selling but I'm sure he'd consider an offer if put to him. It's 100k + but it's had a new timing chain and gear fitted when the timing chain tensioner went (another very common problem) - gives you an idea of how anal he is