Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help 54 turns over no start

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Contributor

help 54 turns over no start

Mornin all, went to start the car it turns over sounds very wheezy but will not start. Drove car yesterday with no issues. I have done a bit of investigation and read that cylinders could be coated in oil resulting in no compression. If so what's the diagnosis and the fix. Any other likely possibilities.
    Battery, antifreeze, and oil are all ok
    Thanks

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

RE: help 54 turns over no start

Quote Originally Posted by mac7
    Mornin all, went to start the car it turns over sounds very wheezy but will not start. Drove car yesterday with no issues. I have done a bit of investigation and read that cylinders could be coated in oil resulting in no compression. If so what's the diagnosis and the fix. Any other likely possibilities.
    Battery, antifreeze, and oil are all ok
    Thanks
    cylinders coated in oil resulting no compression?? with oil in cylinders compression will be bigger as it fills very tiny possible air- compression leaks . and if engine is heavy oil burner compression test is not recommended as it will not be real accurate numbers for same reason

for u is best to take out one or few spark plugs and check are they not wet of fuel or oil . this might not let to get good spark and fire the engine .maybe spark plugs are bad and need replacement

BMWHaus Contributor

Cheers, I let the car sit for an hour and 30 seconds cranking it fired on a couple of cylinders took it for a spin an all is good now. Car uses around a liter of oil per 1k miles. So I hoping it will be ok tomorrow. But if it happens again I will pull plugs and check. Plugs were changed around 10k ago. Ccv creates vacuum as per Google videos.

BMWHaus Contributor

my e39 does this if I start it first thing in morning and switch it off a few seconds later.it will not start no matter how many times its turned over..the only way I found was to take the plugs out and dry them off and leave the plugs out for a few hours,stick the plugs back in and fires first time.it happened me 3 times in 2 years and is a real pain if you forget..done some research and seems to happen to a few bmw engines,mines the m52 but apparently the m54 as well..

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by satumashirt611
    my e39 does this if I start it first thing in morning and switch it off a few seconds later.it will not start no matter how many times its turned over..the only way I found was to take the plugs out and dry them off and leave the plugs out for a few hours,stick the plugs back in and fires first time.it happened me 3 times in 2 years and is a real pain if you forget..done some research and seems to happen to a few bmw engines,mines the m52 but apparently the m54 as well..
    Makes sense moved the car a foot closer to the house last night only ran it for a few seconds and then that this morning

Got a scare this morning 3 years owning one and was its first time not starting on the first turn. Looks like i will have to carry a few extra bits in the boot just in case. It's one of the joys of owning an aging car I suppose.

Re: help 54 turns over no start

This has happened me several times start for a second move a fraction then shut the engine off its unburnt fuel i think although mine behaves a little different it will start really rough spluttering and misfiring rev it once or twice and then its good to go

1 litre of oil to 1000 miles that pretty bad id say your plugs are getting caked in oil.

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by owly
    1 litre of oil to 1000 miles that pretty bad id say your plugs are getting caked in oil.
    You'd think but I pulled them 10k ago an they were in fairly good condition not much built up on the electrodes. 2 nct's and low emissions it used to bother me but now I just keep a few liters handy.after all the car is only worth the price of a rebuild on the engine, so for now as long as it keeps goin and passing nct's a few liters of oil is no big sacrifice :-)

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by owly

Pretty normal for a m54 engine

In fact s62's can use 1ltr per 600 miles

BMWHaus Contributor

As said normal for some to use 1l to 1000miles.
    1L to 500 miles use lidls finest:wink:
    any worse than that throw used oil into her