Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trip to usa questions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Trip to usa questions

Lads I'm heading away for 10 days in March.

In LA for 5 days driving to Vegas for my 30th for 3 days and then back to San diego for 2 days can't wait!!!!

Anyhow just wondering where's the best place to rent a car? was looking at getting a mustang convertible but there mental money for 10 days so thinking a Dodge Charger, carhire3000 is under new ownership and gets bad reviews so that's out!
    Any recommendations??

Also anyone any tips on things to do that wouldn't be as well known as other activities?

Thanks.

RE: Trip to usa questions

My sister and her husband had their honeymoon in Vegas.

They stayed in the Bellagio and said anyone going to Vegas should only stay there, they also did the Grand Canyon tour in a helicopter and I think they rented out a Hummer and went for a spin out into the desert.

Sounds like fun.

BMWHaus Guru

We got a mustang convertible for 2 weeks in Florida last summer, it was through Avis and wasn't too bad at all price wise. Also it was as new - had 4k miles on the clock. Bargain with them, you won't believe how much they are "authorised" to take off the price if they feel like it. Oh and have fun! we're planning a similar trip for next summer.

BMWHaus Guru

go with avis! and if i was in vagas few things i would do that people over look the carol shelby museum, hoover damn is a amazing, have a great trip!

BMWHaus Guru

We hired a V8 convertible mustang in Vegas through hertz a few years back and cost $80 a day (€50) at the time, $50 for a full tank (A mini cooper was $120 a day )
    Well worth doing the drive through the derest out the hoover dam and out around firestone valley.

Thanks for the suggestions I've the mgm grand booked for Vegas
    I'll check out Avis and hertz the pain is I don't have a credit card only a visa debit I rented a car in Orlando years ago on it and they put a hold of 700 on my card
    the GF has one so we'll have to pay extra to get me as a named driver

BMWHaus Contributor

I was there in October, rented with Avis, had booked a Mustang but ended up paying a few dollars extra for a Cammaro. Think it was about $97 for a day with two drivers.

Took a spin out to the Hoover dam, the other lads in a mustang, good fun.

I use us car hire Just get the gold package and it includes everything, no sneaky charges. My advise would be to book a reasonable car and then negotiate an upgraded car with them at the desk.

Basically the guys at the desk are on commission, so they will try to get as much out of you as possible. This means the first price they give you will be astronomical. But if you keep saying its too expensive then they should come down in price. Last time we got the staff rate, I think it was 190 dollars to upgrade from a convertible to a muscle car for 14 days

BMWHaus Guru

Forgot to say we got the car without having a credit card and also booked online before hand because it was cheaper

Quote Originally Posted by Mackers
    Forgot to say we got the car without having a credit card and also booked online before hand because it was cheaper
    And did they put a lock on a large amount of money in your debit accout?
    I might email them to check before I stick a deposit down because a lot of them say you'll need a credit card in your own name at the desk!

I also might book something smaller and do what gek said look for an upgrade.

Has anyone ever done the Vegas sandwich?
    It's where you stick a 20 or a 50 dollar bill as way of a bribe in the back of your passport while checking in and ask is there any chance of a free room upgrade???