Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you have a shitter ....... Discuss :)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Do you have a shitter ....... Discuss :)

Ok best clear up the thread title ...

Iam sure plenty of you don't use their pride and joy as a commuter if your very lucky ...

If you don't but have to get to work everyday and public transport isn't your thing you will prob have an average joe car for the commute or as we lovingly call them. "A shitter"

So what I wanna know is what bargain basement cars do people use ... The cheaper the better of course ...

What kinda mpg you getting , what it cost and how reliable is it etc etc

My girlfriend is consider this very purchase and taught it might be interesting to hear people's suggestions on the subject

Current things we looking at is a early polo gti ... 306 dturbo .... 106 gti

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: Do you have a shitter ....... Discuss :)

I know its a van but cant beat a 2 litre transit 130 miles to 20 euro of diesel,can throw anything in it and parts are everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by satumashirt611
    I know its a van but cant beat a 2 litre transit 130 miles to 20 euro of diesel,can throw anything in it and parts are everywhere.
    Oh I hear ya ! I'd be lost without my work van soaking up endless miles that otherwise would fall to the m5 to do ... But if I suggested a transit to her I may be single very fast lol

It's not a 'Shitter', I only have it because it's less than half the price to insure than the E36!

But I have a '00 VW Golf 1.4 3-Door, Awfully slow though!
    Very reliable, Yes I know there known for burning oil, But mine doesn't use a drop! (110k miles)
    Besides a leaky oil switch, lambda sensor and dodgy emergency flasher button it's been faultless in the last year!

I'm getting 40ish mpg.

I actually really dislike VW/Audi BTW, But can't fault the Golf in the 1+ years I'v had it.

BMWHaus Guru

It makes perfect sense on paper, but what I found is when all is said and done you're still maintaining 2 cars so it doesn't work out much cheaper if at all, and on top of that most of the time you're driving "a shitter" as you say. I have a 1.6 golf for the job and I hate the fecking thing... It's perfect and gets everything it needs but it's not exactly thrilling to drive. So in the future I will only have 1 car all year round.

Having said that it might be different if "the shitter" was a more fun car like a polo gti or fiat 500 abarth but as said it's still maintenance for 2 cars.

Re: RE: Do you have a shitter ....... Discuss :)

Quote Originally Posted by BMW
    It's not a 'Shitter', I only have it because it's less than half the price to insure than the E36!

Very reliable, Yes I know there known for burning oil, But mine doesn't use a drop! (110k miles)
    Besides a leaky oil switch, lambda sensor and dodgy emergency flasher button it's been faultless in the last year!

I actually really dislike VW/Audi BTW, But can't fault the Golf in the 1+ years I'v had it.
    Your didnt miss out on anything by skipping over the mk iv gti model thats for sure , watching a clarkson dvd last night he put the the mark 4 up against an automatic rover 25 it left the gti for dust

As a daily though the golfs a good looking comfy car

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Gar
    Quote Originally Posted by BMW

Your didnt miss out on anything by skipping over the mk iv gti model thats for sure , watching a clarkson dvd last night he put the the mark 4 up against an automatic rover 25 it left the gti for dust

As a daily though the golfs a good looking comfy car
    They are super comfy to be fair!

Also used a golf for a long a$$ daily commute last year, it was a 92 mk3 that cost 300 euro and it came with NCT and a heap of work just done and it never missed a beat. Easily returned 42mpg according to an app and was a nice comfy place to sit and watch the miles go by, slow as heck but speed was sort of irrelevant as it was a route that always had speed vans on it.

The idea for my gf is to take her car off the road ( sorn ) so we can get some work done over time - work which just inst getting done at moment due to tax costs etc (
    325ci )

Golfs have come up in conversation alright

BMWHaus Contributor

mkv tdi golf myself, slow as a wet week, but 280€ road tax and 56mpg can't really complain