Thread: Cracked BMW wheels

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Contributor

Cracked BMW wheels

MV4 to be exact.

My Mam has a 2008 325 M-Sport convertible which was bought new from Joe Duffy. The car now has the extreme mileage of 48,000 KM on the clock.

A few years ago BMW replaced an alloy wheel which was cracked.

Yesterday she got a flat rear tyre so I brought it around to Keith in Discount tyres to get new tyres fitted all round, as they were getting to the replacement stage anyway. While they were changing the tyres I got a call to go have a look at the wheel.

There was three cracks on the inside of the rim itself. The rim was no longer safe to use, so I contacted Joe Duffy and they offered to carry out a "run out test" on it to see if it falls under there specifications for a faulty wheel.

I received a call this morning to say that it does not, and because of this they cannot even contact BMW Ireland to apply for goodwill. I'm very dissapointed and to be honest we have never had any issues with wheels cracking in any of our cars before, that includes various BMW's, but this is the 2nd wheel from this set of MV4's that HAS cracked.

I have no intention of paying for a new one, this particular style of wheel has been proven to crack way too often, to the extent that Watchdog in the UK covered it. The wheel is not fit for purpose, and after only 48,000KM, to have two wheels that have cracked and need replacing is totally unacceptable, especially in a car that cost upwards of 70K Euro new.

Including this car, there was a new E46 325 convertible M-sport and a new Cooper S JCW bought from BMW in the few years previous to it. Gotta love the way they look after there customers when it comes to faulty wheels.....
    Attached Images Attached Images