Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Welded diff brigade finally caught up with

RE: Welded diff brigade finally caught up with

Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by mk2glenn
    I had a welded diff before and drove fine dry or wet. Noticably different handling wise to the viscous LSD that was in it but still plenty capable of being driven in a normal manner. It's about the driver not the car. An M5 is more dangerous than a welded diff but if you drive it normally it'll be fine.

Not that I think they're ideal, in some cases it makes sense where an LSD isn't available and the cars only for messing but I wouldn't like 1 daily. Some people on here on very high horses being very stereotypical :surprised:
    What a ridiculous statement, you understand the dynamics of a car driving around a corner right?

There is no situation where it makes sense in a road environment.

Someone who welds a diff is someone who is too cheap to fit the proper equipment in their car, if they're too cheap for a diff you can bet that ethos will be seen throughout the car but the main point will be tyres, you didn't weld your diff for grip.

So you have a car that doesn't want to go around a corner with tyres that don't want to stick to the road, with someone who is arrogant enough to think it is safe, it's a recipe for disaster and it will be an innocent third party minding their own business who pays the price.
    I'd rather a lad with a welded diff that takes it handy than a tit with Pzeros on an M5 thinkin hes Ayrton Senna. 500bhp doesn't make sense in a road environment either now does it? Why not just fit power limiters and speed limiters to all cars that have to be on the road?

Throw us your statistics there of the amount of RTAs caused by welded diffs. Not arguing if the Gardai were right or wrong in upholding the law, but a lot of people here are very narrowminded. Yes a standard diff is safer, but that doesn't make a welded a lethal weapon.

You know the old saying, guns dont kill people, people kill people

BMWHaus Contributor

Narrow mindness only cones from ignorance/arrogance and not a clue what there talking about. In certain situations an open diff is way more dangerous

Re: RE: Welded diff brigade finally caught up with

Quote Originally Posted by Ford 2
    Narrow mindness only cones from ignorance/arrogance and not a clue what there talking about. In certain situations an open diff is way more dangerous
    What situations ?

You only weld your diff to go round in circles you shouldn't be on a public road doing that in the first place end of !!!

Welded diffs are as bad as cherry bomb exhausts on charades

There is a reason why cars with welded diffs are avoided on donedeal

And that tripe about the m5 is not even worth a reply

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Gar
    I agree with a lot of that Gar but to say they are avoided? I'm afraid that people who avoid them are now in the minority as every relative low cost merc, beemer and any other rwd car nearly has one as they are seen as a selling point.

Quote Originally Posted by Venom
    Quote Originally Posted by Gar
    I agree with a lot of that Gar but to say they are avoided? I'm afraid that people who avoid them are now in the minority as every relative low cost merc, beemer and any other rwd car nearly has one as they are seen as a selling point.
    Sorry i should have said avoided by people with common sense , when a cars nearly fit for the scrapper or below 4 digits then the diffs welded

I suppose if your 20 and like doing skids on a pair of 15's down the local roundabout then they will appeal but lets be honest here the majority are ragged cars fit for the bin soon after

I youtubed welded diff car driving and guess what first videos that came up the cars were worth about 50p and driven by kids

BMWHaus Contributor

With all due respect gar as I like you but you ever drive a car with a welder ? again I'm not condoning these they can be dangerous and I'd always have a tight 2/1.5 way over one but without living with one, knowing of cars well into teens in price range with ones or have any experience your only reading and not experienced enough to tarnish everyone with the same brush..a tight diff'd M3 will lock just the same and have the same slow speed issues at times ( skipping etc )

BMWHaus Guru

The thing I don't get about this thread is that there are 2 sides to it but each side is equally as dismissive to the other?

Also what pops up if you type in m3 or m5 diffing?

Same thing only not fit for the bin?

I wouldn't put a welder in the car. But I'd also agree and LSD or open diff are dangerous in the wrong hands.

I think it was Valdas that said once "The biggest problem with most cars is a bad gasket between the steering wheel and drivers seat"

On the money in my opinion.

With all due respect gar as I like you but you ever drive a car with a welder ? again I'm not condoning these they can be dangerous and I'd always have a tight 2/1.5 way over one but without living with one, knowing of cars well into teens in price range with ones or have any experience your only reading and not experienced enough to tarnish everyone with the same brush..a tight diff'd M3 will lock just the same and have the slow speed issues at times ( skipping etc )
    No i have not and i know you is well doesnt mean we have to fall out over a difference of opinion on the interweb

Iv pumped a lot of cash into my car so to weld the diff and burn through a 400 quid set of tyres would be stupidity at its finest plus its just not my cup of tea

I have never driven an f40 either but i know id love one you dont need to experience everything in life to have an opinion

iv driven an m5 though and an e46 m3 and neither behave like these welded diffs have you driven either ?

http://youtu.be/H11HDExWaSQ

Your arguing against but you say above they are dangerous

Let me ask you a question why did you weld the diff in the first place what was the sole reason ?

Narrow mindedness, seriously?? Hearing what you want to hear is narrow minded which seems to be the only defence those of you in favor of welded diffs seem to be using.

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Venom
    There's a few welders on here. Wonder what they think of this?
    Just red through the whole thread again, doesnt really matter what they think does it? Theyre just being ridiculed for voicing their opinion?

And before I get lynched, im NOT having a go at anybody here. But honestly, some people are speaking from obvious personal experience, and some, well, aren't.

Or am I just talking through my hole?