Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun licence question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Contributor

Gun licence question

Well lads?
    Maybe someone can help me out here. When applying for a gun licence there is a "proof of competence" section.
    Is there a course for this or what's the procedure?
    Cheers

RE: Gun licence question

There is a one day course run by the NARGC, the National Association of Regional Game Councils.

It's called a Firearms and Game Hunting Proficiency Course.

I did it a few years ago, it's an excellent course. There's an exam at the end which if you've been paying attention at all you will pass.

The first half of the day is classroom stuff, the law, safety, assembly and disassembly of a firearm, the types of game, when they're in shooting season, what's considered vermin and things like that.

Second half of the day is on a clay pigeon firing range where they go through safety again, explain how to hold a firearm ( shotgun ), let you fire at different types of target, static, moving, etc..

They correct your technique and give you tips and generally give excellent tuition and advice.

The lads I did it with were brilliant, very knowledgeable and well able to impart the knowledge. Also serious men that are well able to shoot.

If you go onto the NARGC website you should be able to find out when the next one nearest you is on.

BTW, the NARGC is basically the association of gun clubs and you have to join up with one if you want to get a gun. But it's worth it as they have excellent insurance and they run these courses.

Not sure if you can do the course if you're not a member but you probably can because....

You can also get a gun licence if you have land that you can shoot on or you know someone that will write a letter to the Gardai allowing you to shoot on their land. But you will only be able to shoot on whatever land you have specified, be it yours or someone else's.

If you're a member of a gun club, you will be allowed to shoot on whatever land that the gun club has arranged for its members to enter. Usually gun clubs have access to whatever forestry is in their area, any farm land that has been granted permission to the club to shoot on ( farmer is probably a member of the club for example ), common mountain terrain that is not a game sanctuary and places like that.

Gun clubs are also very very active in game preservation and take very seriously their role in that area.

You know yourself, you're better off doing everything by the book.

No harm to know the local Garda Fireams Officer either. My experience of them is that they are very sound, I've never had a problem but I always have everything in order.

Best of luck.

BMWHaus Guru

+1 on chatting to the GFO before you make a purchase, my experience with them is very good and they will tell you everything you need to get started.

Never had to do the course myself, was brought in after I had a couple of licences.

What are you considering applying for?

BMWHaus Contributor

@The scout I couldn't have asked for a more informative answer thanks a million.
    @ketron I've inherited a fn shotgun and would like to keep it

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dean-e36
    @The scout I couldn't have asked for a more informative answer thanks a million.
    If you're out the country the easiest for you would be to get signatures off farmers close to you.Think two is enough and they have to have 100+ acres. Depends on what you also want to use the shotgun for though.

Quote Originally Posted by dean-e36
    No problem.

It's worth mentioning that you will have to get a trigger lock for security purposes in order to be Firearms Act compliant ( and also Criminal Justice Act 2006 ).

Also, it goes without saying but I'll say it anyway as its so important..

*Never keep gun and ammunition together.
    *Never have a loaded gun in the house.
    *Never point the gun at anyone in jest, loaded or unloaded.
    *Never travel with a loaded firearm.
    *Never discharge a firearm near a public road or dwelling house, or any building.

If you have more than one firearm you will have to get a purpose built gun cabinet, which can be securely locked and fixed to a concrete wall. Again, this is to comply with the Firearms and Criminal Justice Acts.

The Garda Superintendent in the district in which you reside will be the person that decides if you're going to get the licence or not. They will have to satisfy themselves that..

* You can demonstrate a good reason for requiring the firearm.
    * You are a person who can have a firearm without posing a danger to public safety.
    * You are not a disentitled person under Section 8 of the Firearms Act ( under 16, a person of unsound mind, convicted of certain offences, received a custodial sentence in the previous 5 years etc.. )
    * You have a secure place to store firearm and ammunition.

It's worth having a serious think about why you want the gun, it's nice to inherit something like that and it probably has some sentimental value but consider if you are going to use it and use it often enough to warrant the expense and the effort it takes to get and keep the licence.

Also consider if you want something so dangerous in the house. There have been many sad incidents where people have been injured and killed. Especially children.

I'm sure you've though it through. It's a great pastime and the people that are into guns are generally very sound so you'd get on grand with the lads in the club.

It would be worth contacting the local gun club and do the entire process through them. I'm sure they'd help you out.

If your FN is a single barrel I would suggest it's only suitable for game hunting.

If you want to go clay target shooting get yourself an over and under.

If you want to shoot static targets get yourself a rifle.

Best of luck.

BMWHaus Contributor

If somebody wanted to take this up, firing range etc can it be done?
    Do you specifically have to have an interest in shooting on land for hunting?

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by kceire
    Yep quite easily, as stated do the competency course then you would have to join a range (if you are interested in target shooting) or a club if you want to hunt etc.

Quite a few clubs around Dublin, a lot of them only really cater for either clays or for rimfire target shooting though. But for beginners I would recommend a rimfire anyways.

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by kceire
    On the app form there is a section to specify the use of the gun
    . Hunting . Target shooting. Other (clay ect. )

BMWHaus Contributor

It won't be used very frequently but will be securely put away from easy access. (Wouldn't be reachable if someone broke in) and no children

It's a trap gun over and under, im very accustomed to using , maintaining and correct handling of rifle and shotgun. Joys of growing up in the country.
    I've just never applied for a licence before, have been meaning to for a long time