Thread: What's a few years worth versus Mileage?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Guru

What's a few years worth versus Mileage?

So been looking for a second car lately and am somewhat lost/confused about the variation in asking prices.

As I am someone who would not typically be keeping a close eye on the market what is the story with car year versus mileage?

For example (just made up): 2005 car with 60k miles for 7k versus same 2008 car with 110k miles for 12k.

I know at the end of the day it is how the car has been cared for, etc... but just curious as to the variation.

Is the year/age more meaningful than the mileage?

BMWHaus Guru

RE: What's a few years worth versus Mileage?

I think it really depends on the person buying.

I think car people will be more conserned about the mileage and service history and less concerned about the year (Personal opinion)

Where as non car people may care more about the year and the money they have to fork up at the start.

So for that reason someone may think say a 08 520d with 180k miles is not worth much because it has high mileage where as others may look and think, Ohhh i can have an 08 5 series the neighbours will think were great.

It depends on the car too though, generally I wouldnt look twice at a higher than normal mileage petrol car but might consider a diesel with higher than normal mileage.

Its kind of the same as people buying lesser quality cars because they can buy newer.
    eg my mother and sister inlaw just last year went out and bought 2012 peugeot 308s because they were the newest car available in their price range instead of buying something a little older and better quality as i recommended.

Thats just my take on the situation.

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Mackers
    I think it really depends on the person buying.

I think car people will be more conserned about the mileage and service history and less concerned about the year (Personal opinion)

Where as non car people may care more about the year and the money they have to fork up at the start.

So for that reason someone may think say a 08 520d with 180k miles is not worth much because it has high mileage where as others may look and think, Ohhh i can have an 08 5 series the neighbours will think were great.

It depends on the car too though, generally I wouldnt look twice at a higher than normal mileage petrol car but might consider a diesel with higher than normal mileage.

Its kind of the same as people buying lesser quality cars because they can buy newer.
    eg my mother and sister inlaw just last year went out and bought 2012 peugeot 308s because they were the newest car available in their price range instead of buying something a little older and better quality as i recommended.

Thats just my take on the situation.
    Yeah makes sense but in terms of seller pricing is that what drives it ya think? The fact buyers are more concerned with newer so will sacrifice the mileage?

BMWHaus Guru

The way I look at it is what not try, what harm in sticking it up for a higher price and see what happens.