Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E39 diesels...

E39 diesels...

Alright folks, haven't posted on here for a good while. Had the e36 and shifted it on because it was too low and too loud for the little one. Have been in and out of a few motors to tide me over but looking at getting into an e39 fairly soon.
    Among reading the threads of owners on here and doing the usual Google searches I've heard they are absolutely great cars. Had the pleasure of driving my mates 525 tds just last week also which was the clincher also.

Anyway, I'm waffling...what I'm wondering is 525 or 530? Obviously like the title suggests, must be diesel and what are people's opinions on high milers and service history? Have spotted a couple of cars but they all have pros and cons. You guys are the guru's so let me know the do's and don'ts. Thanks
    Gaz

Re: E39 diesels...

530d will open a lot more doors as well as having more power all round and not much difference in mpg theres probably 10 530's to every one 525d so finding one is a hell of a lot easier

I cant add to much as my knowledge is on petrols but im sure diesel owners will chime in soon

But what i will say is you wont regret it its a big step up from the e36 and thats a great car in its own right iv loved every minute of ownership with my e39 must have it 3 or 4 years and no intention of changing

BMWHaus Guru

RE: E39 diesels...

You will never regret getting an e39, definitely one of the best cars I have ever owned and still miss my old one.

Engine wise the 530d are fairly bullet proof, they have common issues however, thermostats and coolant system are a common issue, engine mounts tend to go due to the torque. But once the car has been maintained they are great cars.

Other e39 issues are.
    Rust,
    sills, rear arches and boot lid. Even well looked after cars will rust.

Suspension.
    Ball joints, drop links etc tend to go more that an e36 due to the sheer weight of the car.

Thanks for the help so far lads. I have heard that the e39 suspension can be a bit of a weak point alright. In terms of rust, is there any areas in particular to investigate that may be hidden to the untrained eye? Also manual or auto doesn't really bother me but I heard to check to see if the swirl flaps have been done in the autos...is this correct?

BMWHaus Guru

E39 diesels...

Autos have an EGR thermostat too, yeah only the autos have swirl flaps and they are prone to failure.

The boot and behind the fuel cap are the areas that are prone to rust but they rust behind the arch trim, the arches themselves, the door shuts.

In wouldn't say the suspension is a weak point, it's more of a case that the youngest e39 is 12 years old and if the suspension hasn't been changed, it's going to need it soon. It's a 2.5k job.

You're gonna have a hard time finding a good one in Ireland. Valdas car is worth a look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What car does he have, sorry but I don't know too many people on here.

BMWHaus Guru

E39 diesels...

Low mileage Titan Silver 530d. He trades as motor confidence on here

BMWHaus Guru

E39 diesels...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    Low mileage Titan Silver 530d. He trades as motor confidence on here

But his username is @[Valdelisbmw]

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-530d-msport/8434655

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw/8095350

Anybody recognise either of these two cars? Both are pretty much what I'm looking for as far as spec and I'm partial to a black car!lol
    Anything in relation to these I should look out for?

That MO reg looks very well, also has digital climate controls.