Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: E39 diesels...

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: E39 diesels...

Quote Originally Posted by outofbandii
    That MO reg looks very well, also has digital climate controls.
    This'll be the one time I say that it's crying out for wood trim. The cream just does not look right with chrome trim I think.

I would go for the MO reg'd one as well, looks like it's from an enthusiast and it has a great spec.
    E39 525iA Sport - Sapphire Black - SOLD
    E39 528iT SE - Orient Blue - SOLD
    E39 540i/A Sport - Topaz Blue

BMWHaus Contributor

Some clock on the MO one.

Huh...?^^^^^

Hi. We have all 3 types of engine in our family, my parents have a 525d that I drive regularly and I've a 530d, I previously ran and still have a tds, albeit in E34's.

I find the 525d noticeably quieter than the 530d and it drives me insane that I own the noisier car! The former hums from cold start and could easily be mistaken for a petrol, whereas mine or any I've heard never could. I typically got 47mpg at minimum from the smaller engine, rising to 54mpg on a long haul, whereas the 530 just about gets over 40mpg everytime, rising to 47 on a long trip. The dash econometer is a bit more optimistic in the figures it gives.

The larger engine has noticeably more power in give and take overtaking situations, neither engine pulls in the higher rev range as good as the older tds. That used to give 37mpg by the way and hit 40 just the once in my hands. The annual road tax on the 530 is hard to swallow at €1500, in fact I'm staring at my renewal notice right now.

When it comes to running costs, I find that whatever gains have been made in fuel economy are equalled by maintenance costs. the 525d is about 25% more economical than the 525tds yet has components such as an injector loom for instance that eventually becomes brittle and has to be replaced, such an item doesn't exist on the older car! The same goes for 530d.

All things considered though, I'd be one of the few that's steer you more towards a 525d. It does 95% of what the 530d will do, sounds sweeter, drinks a bit less and cost €400 a year less to tax.

Good to know...525's seem to be a bit harder to find for sale or am I just looking in the wrong places. That MO reg one in the previous link is now sold...bugger that so!

BMWHaus Guru

E39 diesels...

525d m sports were never sold in Ireland, they're all imports.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah I see...that would make sense so!lol By the way, you have a lovely one yourself Dave!

BMWHaus Guru

E39 diesels...

Quote Originally Posted by GazC
    Ah I see...that would make sense so!lol By the way, you have a lovely one yourself Dave!
    Thank you very much, it's a very endearing money pit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk