Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 635D Opinions needed.

BMWHaus Contributor

635D Opinions needed.

Hi guys. I'm thinking about buying a 2008 635d and I was wondering if you have any buying advice or opinions? I love the 6 series and the power train offers a great mix of drivability and very managable day to day expenses. I've been running an e46 m3 as a daily for the last 2 years, so I'm used to the running costs etc.

I assume the model will share the same pit falls as an e60 535d? Has anyone any alternatives they'd suggest? Just bear in mind I'm not remotely interested in something with a 2.0d engine, but I'd like something nippy that drinks a little less fuel than the M3 and isn't 515 a quarter to tax.

Thank in advance for your help. Nigel

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: 635D Opinions needed.

Seen a beautiful GC the other day, much nicer than the normal 6 but I can't stand them so fairly biased

BMWHaus Contributor

I love them. There's one in DD at the moment now.

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by kceire
    I love them. There's one in DD at the moment now.
    "nicer than a m5 or m6 to drive" :hehe!:

This one

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2008-bmw-635d/8327757

BMWHaus Guru

I've the 3.0L petrol one & of the petrol models its probably the best when you factor in the valve stem seal issues with the V8s.

They are very similar to an e60 in truth, a lot of the electrics are identical. They do wear front suspension components in particular because of the big wheels. I'd also ditch the runflats & get a space saver 17'. I think it drives much better with non runflats.
    Current Garage:
    e36 Convertible, e63 M6,F82 M4, R53 Cooper S, F57 JCW, R53 JCW GP1, Porsche Panamera, Porsche 991 C4S

BMWHaus Guru

I'd be suprised if you got 10mpg more in a 635d than an E46 M3.....

Be under no illusion the Twin turbo 3 litre diesel is not an economical package.

BMWHaus Contributor

I just went and test drove this....

http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/6-Series/635d-Spo/117614181052137670/advert?channel=CARS

in Frank Keane BMW on the Naas Road. Its a very very nice car, looks far better in the flesh. It seems to be at the top end of the market in terms of price. I sat down and did the numbers with him and I'm in 2 minds now with what to do. It could be bought for 30k, but I'm not sure if there's any value in it? 2 owner car, 106km, full history and a 2 year warranty.

Decisions, decisions. I hopped straight out of the M3 and into it. Far superior cabin and it looks beautiful in the flesh, capable in terms of power, but i was a little underwhelmed. Im assuming you really feel the benefit of the grunt while up and running?

Theres always the option of a remap to customise it to suit your driving style for whats it worth i think they are a smashing looking car and should hold there value well considering its diesel and in the +08 bracket

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by DoktorB
    I'd be suprised if you got 10mpg more in a 635d than an E46 M3.....

Be under no illusion the Twin turbo 3 litre diesel is not an economical package.
    what u talking about

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by nige
    I just went and test drove this....

http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/6-Series/635d-Spo/117614181052137670/advert?channel=CARS

in Frank Keane BMW on the Naas Road. Its a very very nice car, looks far better in the flesh. It seems to be at the top end of the market in terms of price. I sat down and did the numbers with him and I'm in 2 minds now with what to do. It could be bought for 30k, but I'm not sure if there's any value in it? 2 owner car, 106km, full history and a 2 year warranty.

Decisions, decisions. I hopped straight out of the M3 and into it. Far superior cabin and it looks beautiful in the flesh, capable in terms of power, but i was a little underwhelmed. Im assuming you really feel the benefit of the grunt while up and running?
    The only advantage the the 635d has over your M3 is that its a more modern car with the enhanced cabin and gadgets that come with the more modern technology.
    If you have a good E46 M3 then financially that car will stand by you better than that 635d which is could still drop a fair few thousand in value over the next few years.
    The total running cost of that E63 compared to the M3 would likely be very similar.

Given the current price of fuel I personally would go for a 650i if I was in the market for a E63.