Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Black Leather Dye Kit

BMWHaus Guru

RE: Black Leather Dye Kit

Quote Originally Posted by Ketron
    I applied the clearcoat with a sponge :huh:

Looks perfect, but i would have used the supplied airbrush if the thing actually worked

Put on three coats, sure we'll see how it holds up :smiling:
    If you've sponged it on it will definitely hold up

I found the airbrush difficult to use at first, it being my first time using one.

But after a bit of practice i got it working well. Eats cans of compressed air though!

Keeping the nozzle adjusted and clean were the challenges I faced the most. I sometimes ended up with little blobs of dye on the coverage which I had to deal with.

The dye came out blobby because the nozzle would sometimes partially block and the dye would spit out rather than spray.

So I'd have to retouch the coverage with a paintbrush and end up waiting for it to dry so I could sand it.

By the time I got to the final coat I had the technique sussed and got a nice clean coat on.

BMWHaus Contributor

Does the airbrush that's supplied only work off cans of compressed air or can it work with an air compressor?

Quote Originally Posted by TheRev
    Does the airbrush that's supplied only work off cans of compressed air or can it work with an air compressor?
    The airbrush I got had a kind of standard attachment for cans, not sure if it could be modified.

I would imagine that the pressure in a compressor ( even a small one ) would be too much for it.

BMWHaus Contributor

Cheers, this is something I've been talking about doing for a long time, hopefully I'll get to it this summer. Good luck and keep us updated with your product choice, pictures and experience

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by TheRev
    Cheers, this is something I've been talking about doing for a long time, hopefully I'll get to it this summer. Good luck and keep us updated with your product choice, pictures and experience
    The one I got came with an adapter for a compressor. It was rubbish though. Leaked air, would get blocked with the nozzle on the widest setting and dye thinned to the max. Sponge and patience was the route i had to take

Gliptone supplies an easy to use airbrush, leather dye with built in sealent and cans of easy to use sealent in addition to the built in sealent , cleaners etc.