Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suspension opinions needed???

BMWHaus Guru

RE: Suspension opinions needed???

Quote Originally Posted by Lucifer
    I dunno why people are so quick to blame Joms and I don't mean that as an insult to anyone. I live in the back of beyonds in Co. Galway and Joms are an improvement over stock suspension or stock with a lowering spring. Something else is to blame for your poor rear handling. What tyres do you have and what exactly is the problem?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Sorry to hear about your back just the wording is what threw me off thought you meant the back of the car as it reads like that too. I would say that if your worried about what the car will look like lowering springs are not enough. Have you raised the coilovers to the max? front and rear? What profile tyre do you use? The joms are harsher the lower they are. They are soft enough when at max height IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johny14586
    The joms are not the cause of my back issues here. I have them in the car for the last 3 years and they were fine I would recomend them to anyone, I never said there was a problem with rear end handling either. I have nerve damage in my back since last summer, which was my own fault from lifting something on my own it work. So i need a softer more forgiving suspension.

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    I dunno why people are so quick to blame Joms and I don't mean that as an insult to anyone. I live in the back of beyonds in Co. Galway and Joms are an improvement over stock suspension or stock with a lowering spring. Something else is to blame for your poor rear handling. What tyres do you have and what exactly is the problem?

Thats contrary to my experience, I drove a 530 with joms and the ride was shockingly bad down a bumpy road.

H&R comfort cup kit would be a good option.
    I'd be slow to fit coilovers unless they were very good. By 530 I assume you mean E39 530d heavy car. Never going to preform amazingly on any coilover IMO. I drove one before on coilovers not sure what they were but I wasn't impressed either. I have my e36 on standards atm and it feels awful.

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Dave

Thats contrary to my experience, I drove a 530 with joms and the ride was shockingly bad down a bumpy road.

H&R comfort cup kit would be a good option.
    I'd be slow to fit coilovers unless they were very good. By 530 I assume you mean E39 530d heavy car. Never going to preform amazingly on any coilover IMO. I drove one before on coilovers not sure what they were but I wasn't impressed either. I have my e36 on standards atm and it feels awful.
    A coilover offers you an adjustable spring perch, if damping, compression, rebound are calibrated correctly with the right spring, you won't have a problem, it should be possible to have a ride that is every bit as good as stock but as you say, you need to spend the money on a decent coilover.

BMWHaus Contributor

My e39 has nnr coilovers and drives lovely with them.have jom in the e36 and no issues..hate lowering springs ..the bang cant be good when the bottom out...

Thanks for all the replys lads as for tyres i have 225 40 18 and the coilovers are set at the halfway mark. I'll raise them up more and see if its any better for me. Thanks again lads.

BMWHaus Guru

Suspension opinions needed???

Quote Originally Posted by satumashirt611
    My e39 has nnr coilovers and drives lovely with them.have jom in the e36 and no issues..hate lowering springs ..the bang cant be good when the bottom out...
    Decent lowering springs with factory shocks will be miles better than JOMs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Johny14586
    Thanks for all the replys lads as for tyres i have 225 40 18 and the coilovers are set at the halfway mark. I'll raise them up more and see if its any better for me. Thanks again lads.
    Try a set of 17's before you do anything, there will be a good bit more comfort in them compared to 18's

BMWHaus Contributor

The e36 I had on lowering springs had koni shocks and koni 30 mm lowering springs..were so bad they cracked the 2 shock towers in the rear as if someone was in the rear and I hit a bump the shock compressing as much as it could it sounded like someone hitting it with a hammer.no issues with coilovers even though jom..maybe if your living in a town or city lowering springs work but where I live they dont