Thread: E36 318is mpg on clocks not working...

BMWHaus Guru

E36 318is mpg on clocks not working...

Hi all my Mpg needle on my clocks has stopped working. Initially it didn't bother me but now it's annoying the shit out of me. Now I know there is a speed sensor in the differential that might give up but shouldn't that stop the speedo also? The speedo is working fine shows correct speed no bother. I tried a different dial on it today (changed just this from clock inners) same thing. Tried a different set of clocks but every bulb on them was blown but didn't appear to work either. Although I'll give this a go again with the bulbs changed. Should the mpg work on these they're from a 6pot and mine is a 4pot?

When I move it stays in this position only.

When I stop flicks back the other side and dissappears but gives no readings in between no mpg reading.

Mpg on the obc is not working. Mpg needle was not working before obc was installed.

Any ideas? I'm starting to obsess lol.

BMWHaus Guru

RE: E36 318is mpg on clocks not working...

Anyone? I'm not sleeping at night because of this.

BMWHaus Contributor

It's know bags are comming and don't like it sorry no other input I've not see it acting like that before

BMWHaus Guru

I think there's a vacuum hose on the inlet that the mpg guage takes a reading from..check that perhaps?

Here's the dash test for the E36:

Insert your key into the ignition, tap the odometer reset button to turn it on. Press and hold the odo reset button, then, while holding, turn your key to the accessory position.

Your instrument cluster should flash for a second, run a couple numbers on the lcd, then all the needles should do a full motion test.

See if your mpg needle freezes or has difficulties. This will tell you if the needle is screwed (need new instrument cluster / repair instrument cluster), or if it's related to something else.

And the OBC link: http://www.bmwe36blog.com/bmw-on-board-computer-obd-secrets.html

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by 318 iS Cosmos
    I think there's a vacuum hose on the inlet that the mpg guage takes a reading from..check that perhaps?
    Tell me more about this?

The needle works fine during the test. I tried that too.
    Head = wrecked.
    I think it's not an Instrument panel problem tbh.

BMWHaus Guru

No still on the todo list been busy with my airride... I should get sorted soon though and will post my findings