Thread: E60 LCI 2.0D M-Sport

BMWHaus Guru

E60 LCI 2.0D M-Sport

Do the E60 2.0D suffer with the same 'timing chain-of-death'? Seem to be a few M-Sports for sale now (2008 / 2009) with decent specs but worried about the chain as they all seem 100K MILES and above.

Anything else to watch out for? My missus sprung on me yesterday that she would consider one of these instead of anything VAG so I'm eager to get researching!!

RE: E60 LCI 2.0D M-Sport

I'm in the market for the same at the moment, there are a few out there for sale with the Timing Chains replaced but you'll have to be patient for the exact spec model to surface!

On a personal note, I'm considering going for an early 07 pre-LCI model. I'm the kind of individual who will be listening out each day for a rattly chain, even though the car (LCI model) may be perfect!

People have different opinions regarding Timing Chains, some say stay clear and if budget allows go for the 6 cylinder 525/530 option. The rest say they have never encountered problems and it's over hyped. Personally, I shalt be taking the chance if the chain isn't done!

BMWHaus Contributor

I have an 08 LCI 520d. Yes the chains are issues in these engines but each variant has its own issues. Im more worried that we have to replace the Logic 7 amp as we now have no sound from the speakers. On the otherhand, its made me listen to the engine carfully over the last few weeks and theres not a hint of a rattle from it...........runs off to touch some wood

BMWHaus Guru

Thanks for the feedback!

@[kceire] might be a silly question, but the 2.0d has decent power given the size/weight of the e60?

BMWHaus Contributor

Yeah it's ok. The GF drives it daily. Coming from my old 530d and remapped LCI 535d it's not a patch, but in the real world terms it's fine.

On the opposite side, I have a little Fabia VRs with the same power output of the 20d but it weighs the same as the E60 bonnet! That's fun to drive

A work colleague has an E93 320 (petrol) that just hit 100k miles and developed a loud rattle - turns out it was timing chain which had to be replaced. Sounds like it's not just relevant to the diesel engines? Maybe just more common?

Nope quite common in 4 pot petrols is well has been since the e46