Thread: Windscreen claim advice

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Contributor

Windscreen claim advice

On my way home last evening on m50 got my windscreen cracked , could be from the gritting machine or from the ambulance that was flying on the emergency lane , thing is that i never had any claims , i have full comprehensiv insurance ,i want a oem windscreen on my e60 , do i have to ask to get oem ? Don't want some cheap aftermarket , or how is this working ?

BMWHaus Guru

RE: Windscreen claim advice

Quote Originally Posted by Pentea
    On my way home last evening on m50 got my windscreen cracked , could be from the gritting machine or from the ambulance that was flying on the emergency lane , thing is that i never had any claims , i have full comprehensiv insurance ,i want a oem windscreen on my e60 , do i have to ask to get oem ? Don't want some cheap aftermarket , or how is this working ?
    Had recent experience with this - your insurer will have a dedicated line for this type of claim that generally will be a third party company - they will log the claim then contact you to replace. They will confirm the date of the incident and also what happened. Most don't cover your own negligence.

They will then organise to install. You'll need to query what screens the company in question use.

Also if you choose to go else where generally the insurer will cover the cost up to a certain limit only.

Hope you get sorted :wink:

BMWHaus Guru

Windscreen claim advice

Quote Originally Posted by Venom
    Had recent experience with this - your insurer will have a dedicated line for this type of claim that generally will be a third party company - they will log the claim then contact you to replace. They will confirm the date of the incident and also what happened. Most don't cover your own negligence.

They will then organise to install. You'll need to query what screens the company in question use.

Also if you choose to go else where generally the insurer will cover the cost up to a certain limit only.

Hope you get sorted :wink:
    You can insist on oem but might have to pay the difference between their screen and the oem one. But if you have a fog sensor they won't replace it, even though sometimes they don't work after being removed and reattached

BMWHaus Contributor

No fog sensor John , just rain and light sensor if that makes any sense , sure i'l give them a call and see what they say

Had the same thing just before Christmas.

Screen was cracked on the M50. I contacted the insurer and they advised All Glass would be the company to replace. I had already checked the fine print on my insurance and saw that the screen can be replaced elsewhere with a max payout from insurance up to 400 euro.

I priced the screen in BMW and there was less that 100 quid difference but they guarantee the work and that the rain sensor will be fully functional.

Handed it to BMW to replace and then emailed a copy of the invoice to my insurer who actually paid me the full value of the screen replacement - which was above the 400 euro limit

Happy Days

BMWHaus Contributor

Excellent stuff , i'l call fbd tomorrow and shall see how it goes

BMWHaus Guru

Windscreen claim advice

No fog sensor John , just rain and light sensor if that makes any sense , sure i'l give them a call and see what they say
    That's the same sensor, I had a major row with the ins co about changing the screen on the e92. I ended up paying for the sensor myself.