Thread: Just failed the nct on brake lines..

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Just failed the nct on brake lines..

Evening guys,

So as the title says I've just failed the nct on rusty brake lines. Kinda knew it might happen and wire brushed them and primered them last week but didn't fool the tester unfortunately. Car is an E46 coupe.

I have given the lines a good once over and the only problem areas are where the lines meet the hoses on both sides. I reckon the rust probably started on the bracket and spread up along the lines. In my opinion they are actually not that bad, I'm happy enough to drive with them but it needs doing sooner or later so now I've just received my motivation.

So I'm wondering is it acceptable to just replace the lines from the point at which they branch off in front of the passenger wheel. Also I have a feeling the fuel tank may need to be dropped, is this the case.

Any advice here greatly appreciated..

RE: Just failed the nct on brake lines..

I've had to do the brake lines on 2 E46 coupes and the fuel tank had to be dropped.

The rear of the cars were far worse than the front. Both were imports, one from the UK and one from NI. Neither car ever got used on salty winter roads again and I still own one of them.

The brackets were replaced as well, they were completely corroded. Both cars actually passed the NCT prior to the lines being replaced. I got them done because it's just too important a job to ignore.

Just because the car has an NCT disc on the windscreen doesn't mean it's safe to drive. As I have found out many times.

Cheers man,

Yep, ex uk car here as well. I have done some research since my original post and it looks like the tank just needs to be unbolted and shifted as opposed to removed altogether, was this your experience ??

My car has a lot of fairly ugly looking surface rust, at least it did till I attacked it with a wire brush, but, not rotten through thankfully. It was on the list of things to do but is now number one priority.

BMWHaus Guru

Just failed the nct on brake lines..

The right rear can be done without dropping the tank. It is a short section about a meter long with a join on the left side. Left rear is a pig as its a long pipe all the way to the front iirc. Another option is to cut and join a new section in if the rest of it is ok.

Yep, the lines running down the length of the car are fine, the rust starts at the connection to the hoses on both sides and works back the pipes. I'm gonna replace from round where the driveshaft meets the diff so at least I know the bit I can't see above the tank is good as well. Tank straps are rusty at the bolts as well so no harm opening them and giving them a bit of tlc. Cheers fellas, might actually take photos of the procedure for anyone else with the same problem...

For whoever is interested, http://www.bmwhaus.ie/forum/showthread.php?tid=5234