Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: E39 M Sport II suspension

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Guru

E39 M Sport II suspension

According to the spec sheet the 530 has M Sport II suspension and I'm trying to find out what it comprises as I never heard of it before..

Does anyone know the difference between M Sport II suspension and M Sport suspension? From some searches I did some folks just say it's has thicker anti roll bars compared to M Sport but the part numbers for the shocks are different between the two which suggests theres more to it that that.

Re: E39 M Sport II suspension

The million dollar question 4 years iv looked for the answer on and off and frankly there is not a single person on the planet who can answer "what the shock difference is" i even have a sachs catalogue from 2003 and the the msport 2 and msport 1 shock have an identical part no.

Through searching iv also found msport 1 shocks for £80 sterling directly from sachs

Arb difference is 1mm between the pair on the front cant remember the rears off the top of my head

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Gar
    The million dollar question 4 years iv looked for the answer on and off and frankly there is not a single person on the planet who can answer "what the shock difference is" i even have a sachs catalogue from 2003 and the the msport 2 and msport 1 shock have an identical part no.

Through searching iv also found msport 1 shocks for £80 sterling directly from sachs

Arb difference is 1mm between the pair on the front cant remember the rears off the top of my head
    That's interesting. I checked the Sachs catalogue online today and they list shocks for M Sport suspension including the bmw part number which they correspond to, however there's no mention of the bmw part no for the M Sport II shocks

BMWHaus Guru

C3 list them as tech II

http://www.c3bmw.co.uk/StockItem.asp?categoryID=114&subcategoryID=0&produ ctID=1585&oRef=-1&section=2&Item=unassign

My invoice lists part number: 36.A61A as the part for the front shocks.

We also compared them before they went in, they were absolutely identical to the original units. Shaft diameter was exactly the same.

Re: E39 M Sport II suspension

They sure do as does realoem/bmwfans/ecs etc but whats the actual difference outside of the bmw network apart from the number they both have aluminium housings both identical weights

BMWHaus Guru

Tech 2 is slightly lower isn't it? Could it be the shaft length?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: E39 M Sport II suspension

Dont think so 528i sport and 525 look identical maybe a slight variation in the coil spring probably 5mm tops

Id love to have both shocks(new) in my hand to get to the bottom of it once and for all

BMWHaus Guru

Dont think so 528i sport and 525 look identical maybe a slight variation in the coil spring

Id love to have both shocks(new) in my hand to get to the bottom of it once and for all
    With tech II the springs are different between petrol and diesel 6 cylinders but the shocks are all the same so I don't think its the springs.

BMWHaus Guru

RE: E39 M Sport II suspension

There is a section in the BMW ETK parts catalogue called the spring table. In order to determine the correct spring part number for your car (any BMW model, even e34/e36, may be earlier) you need to enter all the options fitted to your car & it will spit out a spring part number.
    Have a look at c3bmw.co.uk for pricing in e39 shocks. I think they were best value for OE Sachs shocks.
    Example of spring table:

Current Garage:
    e36 Convertible, e63 M6,F82 M4, R53 Cooper S, F57 JCW, R53 JCW GP1, Porsche Panamera, Porsche 991 C4S

Re: RE: E39 M Sport II suspension

Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    Dont think so 528i sport and 525 look identical maybe a slight variation in the coil spring

With tech II the springs are different between petrol and diesel 6 cylinders but the shocks are all the same so I don't think its the springs.

Yes but pre facelift cars could have used different coils shocks wouldn't normally lower a car unless it was a big difference its generally the spring

What i mean is visually there is little to no difference in ride height between msport 1and 2

Its not shock shaft lenght it would have been discovered a long time ago iv read countless threads on this some 20-30 pages long never a solution at the end of it iv asked bmw they have no idea and sachs say they are the same shock

The guy who made the shock was murdered in 2004 so thats a dead end