Thread: e46 code 17 auxiliary water pump

e46 code 17 auxiliary water pump

Hi Guys,

Had a Snap On diagnostic computer hooked up to my car today and under Aircon I was getting fault code 17 - Auxiliary Water Pump. Anyone have any idea what it means and where is this pump located on my car. 2003 E46 325Ci..

Thanks..

BMWHaus Guru

RE: e46 code 17 auxiliary water pump

The purpose of the Auxillary water pump is to keep the coolant flowing through the heater matrix when the car is idling, eg when in traffic. This is so the cabin can be heated while the car is idling, the normal water pump is mechanical engine speed dependent so doesn't flow as well when idling.

Pictures in this thread will show you where it is in the M54 engine:

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1881604-Cooling-System-Overhaul-M54-530i

M54 is same as you 2.5L
    Current Garage:
    e36 Convertible, e63 M6,F82 M4, R53 Cooper S, F57 JCW, R53 JCW GP1, Porsche Panamera, Porsche 991 C4S

Thanks for that, I'm wondering now have I actually caused this fault. Replaced the radiator hoses and vanos seals over christmas so the fan (electric) has been out and I have been messing about in that general area. Anyway, know where to start now, thanks again..

Investigated this today. My car doesn't have the same setup as the linked thread. My previous e39 with m52tu engine was like it but my current car has an electric fan and doesn't have an auxiliary water pump like the thread.

Anyway, having googled it the only thing I can see that remotely resembles what google images throws up is part number 4 here. Could this be the faulty part. It is attached to the passenger suspension turret.
    20150131_165726.jpg

BMWHaus Guru

e46 code 17 auxiliary water pump

That's the heater tap for the interior rad not an aux water pump. Tbh I've seen with snap on diagnostics or others it can call fault codes different to BMW ones. Get it read with GT1 if you can

Cheers, yeah I am aware it's a valve and not a pump but I can't find a pump anywhere either in the car or on realoem. I've no doubt the fault code is a snapon/generic fault code and not a bmw code.