Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overheating issue?

BMWHaus Contributor

Overheating issue?

Finally got around to givin the e36 a big service yesterday as I have NCT coming up and putting the car bak on the road after the service I went for a drive as it wasn't driven in awhile (2months), wasn't drivening the car long and the engine bay seemed very hot for the length of driving I gave it. Temp gauge was sitting halfway and driving seemed normal, but I think it's defiantly overheating the car was sitting hot in the garage for a good bit after the drive aswel.. Anyone here have this happen to them or is this normal for the e36.?

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: Overheating issue?

thermostack sticking closed? happened to me

BMWHaus Contributor

Big job? Will I need to replace the thermostat so and hopefully that should do ?

BMWHaus Contributor

25 minutes i had mine taken out, take rad out makes life 100 times easier

BMWHaus Contributor

Sweet thanks man, would I be better off changing water pump while I'm at it.? Would it make cooling better if I do both

BMWHaus Guru

Dont just go changing parts for the sake of it (though a new w pump and stat wont hurt it) diagnose the problem. Why is it getting hot? Does she have a n electric or viscous fan?

BMWHaus Contributor

Viscous fan, I can spin it freely each way with my hand, maybe change out for electric?

BMWHaus Contributor

Decided last nite to bleed out the cooling system, was air blocked very badly really took a long time till I got a nice solid flow, maybe this will help a lot ?!

Quote Originally Posted by murphykidd
    Decided last nite to bleed out the cooling system, was air blocked very badly really took a long time till I got a nice solid flow, maybe this will help a lot ?!
    Yes, If there was a lot of air in it that'll cause it to get hot.

I once bought an E36 with 'Headgasket' gone cause it used overheat quickly, Bled the system properly and it was 100% again.

BMWHaus Contributor

Hopefully that will do the trick for me to bleed it I let unscrews the bleed screw and let the car run idle and it's seemed to be clearing up nicely and the fan kicked in then.. Is that the right way ? Never bled one before like so I was guessing I done it some bit right?