Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Engine conversion Question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Engine conversion Question

Can someone tell me what is involved fitting a 320i engine into a 316i? Is there much wiring involved or is nearly everything plug in and play?

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: Engine conversion Question

E36 320i into a e36 316i. Easy straight forward swap. Loom plugs straight in. 316i box will bolt up to 320i block. 316i rad is the same. You will need six cylinder clocks and if the 320i loom has traction control you will have to run one wire from the ecu to the back of the clocks.

Brillent so it's fairly basic no new wireing needed at all? I plan on dropping in 320i running gear and 4.4 I have here for some track use

BMWHaus Contributor

Battery might need to be moved into the boot too

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by hamish262001
    Battery might need to be moved into the boot too
    battery will fit in engine bay but is a tad tight.

BMWHaus Contributor

If your 316 and 320i loom has traction control. No wiring.
    If your 316 doesn't and 320i loom does. One single wire have to be done.

It's a handy swap. A good solid 9 hour day and you'll have engine out and in

Hi everyone I'm new here so hope this is coming up in the right place. I am looking for advice on an engine conversion. I have an e90 320d and would like to do a 3Litre diesel conversion. I was on the phone to couple of guys today with no joy in finding anyone to carry out the work. Any help is greatly appreciated thanks.

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by GarC
    Hi everyone I'm new here so hope this is coming up in the right place. I am looking for advice on an engine conversion. I have an e90 320d and would like to do a 3Litre diesel conversion. I was on the phone to couple of guys today with no joy in finding anyone to carry out the work. Any help is greatly appreciated thanks.
    Welcome along brother!! :happy: You need to get a few pics up the current and past beemers :wink:

Did you get in touch with any of the lads I sent you on?

There's a few of them on here. I guess you could ask @[Valdelisbmw] if you haven't already as he's a site sponsor here. :smiling:

I'll get pics up in the next few days of past and present motors, I tried a couple of guys Conor Healy was a gentleman but said the 3L conversion is not something they would do that they are too busy to undertake the job.
    As for @(valdelisbmw) I tried him first he told me it would be too expensive.... don't know how he knew what I could afford or not!!!! He then hung up on me before I could ask him about doing some diagnostics on the e90 so to be honest if the car broke down outside his place I'd push it to somewhere else sooner than give him work possibly the most ignorant man I've ever had dealings with.

So still on the look out for other names of possible people to do the job or at least build my engine to a 250ish bhp spec.

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by GarC
    I'll get pics up in the next few days of past and present motors, I tried a couple of guys Conor Healy was a gentleman but said the 3L conversion is not something they would do that they are too busy to undertake the job.
    As for @(valdelisbmw) I tried him first he told me it would be too expensive.... don't know how he knew what I could afford or not!!!! He then hung up on me before I could ask him about doing some diagnostics on the e90 so to be honest if the car broke down outside his place I'd push it to somewhere else sooner than give him work possibly the most ignorant man I've ever had dealings with.

So still on the look out for other names of possible people to do the job or at least build my engine to a 250ish bhp spec.
    That's a bit shit bro.

@[Valdelisbmw] why did you hang up?