Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Builders? Rough Estimate

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Administrator

Any Builders? Rough Estimate

Moved house recently and trying to do a budget for a few improvements. Just looking for a rough estimate on a fairly small job.

There is an arch between the kitchen and dinning room that we'd like down to make one large area.
    Partiton wall taken down, two sockets moved, rad moved, and then replastered.

Roughly, how much?
    Can get pictures if needed.

Cheers!

BMWHaus Guru

RE: Any Builders? Rough Estimate

Quote Originally Posted by Curran
    Moved house recently and trying to do a budget for a few improvements. Just looking for a rough estimate on a fairly small job.

There is an arch between the kitchen and dinning room that we'd like down to make one large area.
    Partiton wall taken down, two sockets moved, rad moved, and then replastered.

Roughly, how much?
    Can get pictures if needed.

Cheers!
    My GFs father runs a renovations business along with her brothers!! If you want I can PM you his number and he can pop out to quote you.

My own father has gotten work done with them, plastering exterior walls, building a porch and getting windows in and he seems happy!

Administrator

Paddy, will PM you!

Bigger question, is the arch load bearing? If not, do it yourself if your reasonably confident/competent at the oul DIY. I did a 40 sq.m lean-to extention nearly 3 years ago, and it's still standing

Administrator

AFAIK its not load bearing, a neighbour has it done and no sign of a supporting beam!

I'd like to do it myself, only, she doesn't think I'll be able to do it! Tut! :P I know someone who'd move the rad as a nixer.
    So I'd like to know what it'd cost to do it in case I make a tit of it, and have that factored into the budget. She'd freak out if we didnt budget for it. If I can do it and make a saving, happy days.

@[ciars] It might be still standing...but whats it like for leaks and draughts! Come over and bring your hammer, everyone loves ripping stuff down!! :P

Administrator

PS: wouldnt know the neighbours well enough to be asking what they paid! :P Would feel a bit awkward anyways!

BMWHaus Guru

Were actually thinking of doing something similar at the minute, Its a timber frame and drywalled wall so not load bearing, I also need a rad moved.
    Were just looking to make the acrhway in the partition wall so not the whole wall but wouldnt imagine the price would be much different.

I have a builder getting me a quote so should hopefully know this week, Ill let you know.

I would have no issue making the doorway myself but the radiator being relocated may involve floors needing to be dug up so thats not something I am interested in tackling myself.

BMWHaus Contributor

What kind of money did that cost ye if it's not too rude to ask?

Bigger question, is the arch load bearing? If not, do it yourself if your reasonably confident/competent at the oul DIY. I did a 40 sq.m lean-to extention nearly 3 years ago, and it's still standing

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Curran
    AFAIK its not load bearing, a neighbour has it done and no sign of a supporting beam!
    Just check the direction of the floorboards upstairs as they will run opposite to the joists as a quick check if load bearing or not.

Administrator

No floor boards in the house, large ply sheets were used instead - any Ive also got new flooring over them, so no ripping up to check :P