Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 325ci stalling

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Guru

325ci stalling

So given that I'm probably the best driver in the world, I'll start off by saying this issue isn't related to my ability to use a clutch.

Have noticed its exceptionally easy to stall the 325ci - especially when manouevring it at low speed, be it in 1st or reverse.

Its not throwing any codes, but I'm guessing its sensor related rather than mechanical. Has anyone had similar issues and managed to resolve them? Have seen a lot of posts online about it, but almost none seem to have gotten it sorted.

Cheers

RE: 325ci stalling

Few options worth looking into
    Maf (simple test unplug it)
    Rubber boot intakes(remove both check for hairline cracks)
    Cdv(take it out its garbage)
    Vanos seals(if bad engine will bog down at low revs) they are a must on an m54 usually fail at 60k

Quote Originally Posted by Gar
    Vanos seals(if bad engine will bog down at low revs) they are a must on an m54 usually fail at 60k
    My old 325 touring did this and it turned out to be a cam sensor or something like that!

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Eoin
    My old 325 touring did this and it turned out to be a cam sensor or something like that!
    Did it throw a code do you know?

When mine went it through no code but the car was down on power its in my thread near the end i think it eas the exhaust side

BMWHaus Guru

When mine went it through no code but the car was down on power its in my thread near the end i think it eas the exhaust side
    Will check it out - thanks Gar

Quote Originally Posted by kdevitt
    Will check it out - thanks Gar
    No code on mine!

I've spent the last few months nursing a 325 back to health, not there yet but almost. I replaced the vanos seals and some vacuum rubbers and these made slight improvements to performance but more noticeable improvements to cold start lumpiness. The biggest improvement was fixing the disa valve. My car had your exact symptoms and was transformed after I sorted it. The flap on the disa wears on the shaft and becomes stuck. I bought both the vanos and disa repair kits from i6 automotive. Only takes a few minutes to get the disa out, couple of torx screws, t30 I think, and you can test by closing the flap and putting you finger over the little exhaust hole on the unit. It should flip to half closed position and then fully closed when you remove your finger. If it's worn then electrically it would be functioning but mechanically it's doing nothing so no codes.

BMWHaus Guru

Cheers Seano. I don't seem to have any of the regular symptoms of that - it starts from colds perfectly, idles perfectly, not quite sure if its pulling through the gears perfectly - its quite sedate compared to the M3. Its only the low speed manoevring which is causing it to stall. Probably worth checking it out all the same.

Yeah, maybe I shouldn't have mentioned cold starts in my last post. The disa wasn't the cause nor did it solve that particular issue for me. It did however solve the stalling at low speeds. Your initial comment about the clutch control is what made me think that you have exactly the same problem I had cause I bloody well knew it wasn't my clutch control that was causing it even though there were no codes. Anyway, well worth checking, quick and easy unlike those bloody vanos seals..