Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E36 6 Speed

BMWHaus Guru

E36 6 Speed

What are your opinions on this?

Have a lot of stories of the six speed box been made of chocolate etc is this true?

Went on a eco run today, Dubiln to Cork and back. 27mpg over all, and I pushed her on a few times. She is a little high in the rpm range for cruising imo. What I'm debating at the moment is a 6 speed box to counter act the higher ratio diff, its only 3.15. Would an evo box mess all the gear ratio's up?

ORRR stick with my box, live with the high revs and drive the 100k odd miles it would take to justify the expense of a six speed?

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: E36 6 Speed

For the sake of 2 or 3 extra mpg I wouldn't bother, shot a dipatane, lighter foot and maybe good service along with correct tyre pressures will see it over the 30, which ain't bad for a 328

BMWHaus Guru

I would say go for it if you had a 3.45 or 3.65 would be a lot of fun, but I wouldn't say it's worth the hassle/cost/risk with the 3.15 considering you know the condition of your 5 speed and it's low mileage etc etc

BMWHaus Guru

In my opinion quicker is better and the difference between ratios and consumption would not be huge.

Certainly wasn't when I changed diff ratios in the 318IS.

Just depends on what your general drive is? A lot of motorway or?

Not a huge amount of work to change the box but cost vs savings? I'm not sure it would ad up.

BMWHaus Guru

Increased tyre pressure is free try that first mabye an extra 2psi?

A new set of ngk platinum plugs always adds an extra 2-3mpg is well

BMWHaus Guru

Thanks for the advise lads. More i think about it, it probably wouldnt be worth while considering i do alot of city miles. A six speed would be nice to have all the same, but better the devil ya know

The mpg on the 328 has never been great, she gets about 20 mpg in the city, been like that for the last year. She is has been serviced three times in the last 10k, replaced the plugs when i got her. At this stage im resigned to the fact its just a thirsty car, fun to drive though :happy:

Re: E36 6 Speed

Sounds about right to be honest when i was in the city daily my car never seen above 25 motorway gets me just above 35 i average just under 30 but then we didn't buy them for fuel economy

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Gar
    Sounds about right to be honest when i was in the city daily my car never seen above 25 motorway gets me just above 35 i average just under 30 but then we didn't buy them for fuel economy
    Thats a most definte yes! Id be driving a prius if that was the case. Strangely enough, the M3 and Clubsport i had used to get far better mileage, must be due to more modern engines etc. I do push her on, but sure isnt that the point :happy:

Yep spot on the m54 would have been a little more economical then the m52, never knew you had an m3 was it an e36 or e46