Thread: What spacers to get?

BMWHaus Guru

What spacers to get?

So I've been thinking about getting spacers for the e36 as the wheels (especially fronts) look lost, but not sure what size to go for. Is there a way to work out if it's 10mm - 12mm -15mm and so on or just take a chance and hope there's no rubbing issues etc.

I presume rubbing the arch with suspension movement and rubbing the arch liner whilst turning are common things but what's a safe size to avoid this? Would also consider spacers on the rear too, but again, how to know what size to go for?

Any advice?

RE: What spacers to get?

All depends on your current tyre size, Width and offset (ET).

BMWHaus Guru

Re: What spacers to get?

Well when I got the rims and tyres I was persuaded to go stretched as I had mentioned I may look at coils but I won't be doing coil-overs now so I'm stuck with stretched tyres until they burn out:P

So I have standard e36 offset rims with 205 r17 front tyres and 215 r17 rears. I will be getting the correct size tyres next time so spacers will have to be correct for correct tyre if you get me!

Sent from my WT19i using Tapatalk 2

BMWHaus Contributor

Would really need to know width (j) and offset (et)

Have you a pic of the wheels even?

BMWHaus Contributor

Simple trick, hang a €2 coin on a piece of masking tape from the wheel arch at the "12 o'clock" position. Grab a measuring tape/ruler and measure how much space you have to work with. Then decide on what size spacer, you could even try adding 10/12/15mm of cardboard to the face of your tire to be sure. Take turning angle into it by hanging two more coins at the "10" & "2" positions and turn the steering from lock to lock and see how clear you are from the coins.