So, in a fit of madness i traded in an E46 for an E90 (M47).
It's a brilliantly clean car, however, little did i realise the potential problems.

I've listed some of the problems that seem common to the E90. Are there any others i've missed or cannot remember or just plain have wrong for the engine type?

Problem........................................... ..........¦ N47 Engine__¦ M47 Engine

ABS/DSC System Failure.....................................Yes... .............Yes
Timing Chain Destroys Engine..............................Yes........... .....No
Weak Swirl Flaps Destroy Engine..........................Yes............... .Yes/Maybe
Crankcase Breather/Oil Separator Destroys Turbo....Yes...............Yes (if not vortex type)
Alloys Cracking.......................................... ........Yes................Yes
Audio System Display Losing Colour......................Yes................Yes

I've already had the ABS problem (5DF5 Control Module Internal Failure).
Cost is anywhere from €400-€1300 to replace depending on which bit needs to be replaced.
Alternative is to send the unit to the UK to be repaired for £165 (hopefully).

Discovered at least one alloy with cracks developing. Won't know for sure about the rest until i remove tires from the other wheels. Car is on non-runflats now.

All of this within the past month of buying the car.

And of course the Audio Display problem. Doesn't really become a problem until the unit/car heats up. But display can be replaced for about €150.

Later on the agenda is to replace the swirl flaps with blanks and check the type of oil separator filter.