Thread: Any Microsoft Excel Experts

Administrator

Any Microsoft Excel Experts

Despite my efforts, Im failing!

Im trying to set up a system whereby I can have all the products on the website, and their pricing, so that I can have an auto-populating invoice.
    So for instance...
    Column 1 = Quantity
    Column 2 = Supplier
    Column 3 = Product
    Column 4 = Price

Enter in the Quantity of the product Ive sold, then type the first letter of the supplier and it auto populates (or a drop down menu), then as a result of the supplier the products from that supplier become the choice for the Product Column and once the product is selected, the price appears in Column 4....and obviously then it multiplies Column 1 and 4, and at the bottom it does the Total and VAT, etc, with the option for Discounts etc....the last bit isnt a problem! But the other bit is!

Any Excel Whizz Kids on the site?
    Would appreciate the help, as it would save quite some time to have a 3 or 4 click system, opposed to having to type it all out!
    Cheers!

BMWHaus Guru

RE: Any Microsoft Excel Experts

You'd really be better off creating a database.

I'll elaborate, what you need is a pretty simple front end application that can perform a check on a database. I don't think excel will do what you want.

Administrator

Excel is fairly powerful....Im pretty confident it can be done, but just not up to speed enough on it to do the formula to do it.....VLOOKUP seems to be what I need but cant work out how to use it properly!

So you could do it with VLOOKUP but its a little bit more complex then that when you are looking to add a dropdown list.

Its difficult to explain without seeing what your working with but step 1 is to add the drop down list.

To add a list you select the cells that you want to have the option to use a drop down list.
    Go to the 'Data' Tab
    Select Data Validation
    Select List from the Allow list.
    Then you Select your source.

If you want PM me your email address and I can prob whip up a demo to show you better what to do.

What version of excel are you using?

Administrator

Excel 2010!

Will send you a PM!

BMWHaus Guru

Save yourself the headache and use Access as suggested previously. Excel is not a database, and is in no way suitable for use as an inventory system. Access even has built in templates that will do just what you want.

You can do similar in excel, but ultimately it's not going to be fit for purpose .

Administrator

Thanks for that....will look into it!
    Never really knew what the capability of Access was...but if ye say its the way to go, I will look into it!!

Appreciate the redirection!

Administrator

Dave never mentioned Access, and I assumed it required additional software.
    Ive Access, so will YouTube a few vids...Im fairly good a picking up the basics and managing to get the results I need. CAD, Photoshop and a few others being examples!
    Thanks again!

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Curran
    Dave never mentioned Access, and I assumed it required additional software.
    Ive Access, so will YouTube a few vids...Im fairly good a picking up the basics and managing to get the results I need. CAD, Photoshop and a few others being examples!
    Thanks again!

You talking about yourself in the third person again Dave?