Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BMW Tyre Insurance

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Guru

BMW Tyre Insurance

So picking up my 2011 F10 on Friday which will have runflats. I have the option of taking out BMW Tyre Insurance for €499 which covers me for 3 years.

https://www.bmwprotect.ie/

https://www.bmwprotect.ie/Content/PDF/ROI/BMW_Tyres_KeyFacts.pdf

Anyone bother with this or know anyone who has?

I generally just say no to optional extras but wanted to see what people thought.

BMWHaus Guru

RE: BMW Tyre Insurance

Do people not normally hate runflats?

BMWHaus Guru

Sounds like bull Eddie, the price of the insurance is just under the price of 2 new good brand run flat tyres no questions asked (if run flats is what you wanted). This is VS paying for a policy in case something happens during a limited time and even then it doesn't cover the full cost of the replacements and there's all sort of conditions for tread depths etc etc. I'd give it a miss personally

BMWHaus Guru

It's been a few years since I've had runflats and I know they have improved somewhat from what I have heard. Obviously I am not immediately going to go out and replace 4 decent tyres even if they are runflats.

The "simple" summary of the policy is:

- Over 6mm left, 100% cost
    - between 2mm - 6mm 50% cost
    - up to 5 claims

It used to be always 100% cost but apparently customers were often getting multiple punctures when tyres were reaching minimal thread depth (cost BMW €3,000,000) so they amended the conditions after initially scrapping the policy. :happy:

I could also get 4 non runflats for not much more than the policy cost also.

Just interested in peoples experiences or opinions.:happy:

Wouldn't bother, When was the last time you needed to replace a tyre due to puncture?

Out of interest, What would 4 equivalent tyres cost if you had to replace? (Without the insurance)

BMWHaus Guru

The whole point is that you had to replace a RFT if it got a puncture?

BMWHaus Guru

I don't think its worth it to be honest. But where could you get 5 decent brand name tyres for an F10 for €500?
    Runflats for 18' or 19' are around €400 each, so 2 Runflats for €500 is also a stretch.

I would love to be proven wrong though! The last set of non Runflats 19' Pirellis I got for the 6 Series was €1,165. And that was a good deal at the time.
    Current Garage:
    e36 Convertible, e63 M6,F82 M4, R53 Cooper S, F57 JCW, R53 JCW GP1, Porsche Panamera, Porsche 991 C4S

BMWHaus Guru

One of my neighbours had it on his E92, from memory he had to call on it quite a few times

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by rebel.ranter
    I do t think its worth it to be honest. But where could you get 5 decent brand name tyres for an F10 for €500?
    Runflats for 18' or 19' are around €400 each, so 2 Runflats for €500 is also a stretch.

I would love to be proven wrong though! The last set of non Runflats 19' Pirellis I got for the 6 Series was €1,165. And that was a good deal at the time.
    Do or don't think its worth it?

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by eddiem74
    Do or don't think its worth it?
    He he! don't think its worth it.
    Current Garage:
    e36 Convertible, e63 M6,F82 M4, R53 Cooper S, F57 JCW, R53 JCW GP1, Porsche Panamera, Porsche 991 C4S