Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mazda RX8 - Opinions?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Guru

Mazda RX8 - Opinions?

What do people think of these? A friend of mine is thinking about buying one in the next few months :s

BMWHaus Guru

RE: Mazda RX8 - Opinions?

I don't get them, IMO they're awful looking, horrible engine noise, stupid rear doors...

I know someone who bought one new and he had to check the oil every time he put fuel in it, plus there's a lot of talk out there about the engines going bang early

Do they even get cheap tax here as a 1.3?

I'd have a 350Z over one all day long

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Leins
    I don't get them, IMO they're awful looking, horrible engine noise, stupid rear doors...

I know someone who bought one new and he had to check the oil every time he put fuel in it, plus there's a lot of talk out there about the engines going bang early

Do they even get cheap tax here as a 1.3?

I'd have a 350Z over one all day long
    I had a 04 192bhp one many years ago. Kept it 6 months and ditched it cause it was terrible. Horrid fuel consumption, actually pretty slow and hard to ring the power out of the engine without ragging it, no torque, unreliable, flooding issues twice, new battery, new starter motor, new coils.....unreliable.

Some people love em, it was not for me.

BMWHaus Guru

I believe these engine are delicate and need a life of proper oil or rebuild time, they are at that price now were people wont be upkeeping them right so dunno if i be buying one.

Taxed as a 1.8 and are a pain in the hole of a car! Neighbour has one and in order to prevent/limit engine flooding he has to rev the shite out of it whilst switching the ignition off when parking up! (random fact of ownership).

Like Leins, I'm not into the styling and fail to see the point of stupid doors, never mind the additional over head in maintainence.

BMWHaus Guru

Thanks guys! Only started doing some research on them when he told me his plans! They are fairly cheap in the UK - he could pick up a low mileage one for 8k quid..

This is only going to be a weekend car and he's not willing to go above 2l. I suggested a 350z but that's out of the question

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by 318 iS Cosmos
    Thanks guys! Only started doing some research on ten when he told me his plans! They are fairly cheap in the UK - he could pick up a low mileage one for 8k quid..

This is only going to be a weekend car and he's not willing to go above 2l. I suggested a 350z but that's out of the question
    S2000 is a far better car in that bracket. The reason the Rx8 is so cheap is cause its a dog. Good handling means nothing with power. It uses nearly as much fuel as the e60 m5...seriously thats just not on.

Quote Originally Posted by Moe

S2000 is a far better car in that bracket. The reason the Rx8 is so cheap is cause its a dog. Good handling means nothing with power. It uses nearly as much fuel as the e60 m5...seriously thats just not on.
    S2000 is class motor. Drove one many moons ago and it's got that lovely shove on, high in the rev range. And remember what His Holiness (Jesus) Clarkson said.... In x amount of vtec engines, not one has ever failed (I think that's what he said anyway )

RG

BMWHaus Guru

What about a Mini GP Shane? Or a TT Quattro Sport? Both got future classic written all over them I reckon, plus "cheap" tax. Does he need rear seats?

Re: Mazda RX8 - Opinions?

Tell him to buy an rx7