Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Benefits of covering up reg on forums?

BMWHaus Guru

Lightbulb Benefits of covering up reg on forums?

What are people's thoughts on this?

Some do it religiously and others don't really care. Is it generally advisable? I'd prefer to cover it but it's such a pain in the ass to edit every photo, and I don't even know how to do it on a video...!

RE: Benefits of covering up reg on forums?

think its waste time and energy, only time i block reg is on donedeal/adverts etc

A neighbour of mine had is car reg cloned and used in a fairly high profile legal activity last year.

Basically his car which is in Dublin is the same colour and make/model as the car used in the activity. The criminals had seen this and got plates made the same as his and used them on this car from the country. He had a gardai knock on the door the following day when CCTV showed 'his car'.

In the end they found the actual criminals and found the 'cloned car' abandoned with the paperwork in the window being from the original reg but the plates being form the neighbours car.

Anyway, I always thought people do it to prevent car cloning in anyway but realistically - you can just look out your window or on carzone and find a huge amount of images and regs!
    \'04 E46 M3 Carbon Black 6sp Manual
    \'08 E87 130i M Sport LeMans Blue 6sp Manual

BMWHaus Contributor

The crims could just as easily sit in a car park and get reg plates, or go on cartell, or done deal or carzone . I dont really think its necessary but hey if it make you feel more secure?.

Quote Originally Posted by shaunokeeffe
    think its waste time and energy, only time i block reg is on donedeal/adverts etc
    I think it's a waste of time too I considered it before doing my engine conversion. But I'd never cover the reg if I was selling a car. Potential buyers will want to do a hpi check. I hate stoopid photos is adds too where car reg is out of shot hiding the front of the car in the process I just skip those ads ha

BMWHaus Guru

You drive around every day with it on display? So I don't see the point. Mind you people do clone reg plates but I don't hear of it happening all that often?

Pete, just take the reg off for the few snaps maybe?

I have seen people do it a lot with the likes of cars that have had issues or are doing work at home (to hide the history if people go searching). I;m with everybody else on this - I just don't see the point unless you have something to hide.

I like to be able to see a reg when buying a car so I'm sure other people do too when I'm selling mine I leave it on.
    \'04 E46 M3 Carbon Black 6sp Manual
    \'08 E87 130i M Sport LeMans Blue 6sp Manual

BMWHaus Guru

Yea I always thought the same so just wanted to see what people thought.

@ Dave: Wouldn't be bothered doing that every time I fancy taking a snap of the car! Would be easier on photobucket. Anyway, here's the latest update reg and all

http://www.bmwhaus.ie/forum/showthread.php?tid=142&pid=71811#pid71811

BMWHaus Guru

I usually cover up the reg but tbh it'a a total pain editing all the photos

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by 318 iS Cosmos
    I usually cover up the reg but tbh it'a a total pain editing all the photos
    Some needs to make an app that hunts and then blurs the reg plate when taking a photo. Similar to how a camera locks onto a face. Money right there!! :hehe!: